What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV friendly airports near DC and SouthEast Maryland

mbert

For the locals in DC area specifically the southeast near Andrews AFB. I am potentially moving to the area next year for work and am just curious on cost and availability of hangar space, I am sure it’s a challenge to find.

What are some friendly airport options you would recommend to hangar an RV4 at? It seems like many of the options are an hour drive plus outside the SFRA. Some examples of estimated cost of hangar space in the area would be great…public, shared, private, grass or paved anything is an option for a friendly guy like me haha.

Thanks for any advice or help provided!

Miles

I have recently moved from southern MD back to NC. I still have two aircraft at St Mary's airport (2W6) in a large hangar. I can no longer fly, or get in, the RV-6A or the C150. My son is co-owner of both and flies out of Andrews with the PAG group. He is looking to move from Chesapeake Beach to somewhere north of D.C. At that time we will brobably sell one of the planes and vacate the hangar we have at 2W6. He will have to find a new hangar location at that time. 2W6 has an active EAA chapter, lots of activity, and a number of pilot working out of PaxRiverNaval Air Base.

Hangars are hard to find around here.

The area you mention contains VKX - and there are several RVs there - and 2W5.

VKX is actually pretty good about hangar turnover because the owner doesn't allow subleasing, and since DC is so transient, hangars frequently come up. You bid for them. They're bare-bones but close to DC. That's where my RV lives.

Tie downs are cheap.

2W5 is a little further out, has a waiting list for hangars.

I know hangars are hard to find down at 2W6 but don't have any direct knowledge of the place.

My hangar with electric an hour out of town @ W29 was $335/mo, bit of a wait list.

Your local option is VKX, in a notch of the Andrews Bravo. Friendly enough, not sure of the hangar situation there, especially since Hyde Field (right next door) just shut down.

I drive 1:15 from Calvert Co to KESN.
Outside SFRA and an affordable hangar.
Lots of RV activity, my neighbors on either side are RV's.

Thanks for the info Mark I was looking at KESN as a possible option. Glad to hear there is a good amount of RV activity in the area.

Back