What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Audio noise using Garmin VIRB with the Audio-Video cable

Draker

Well Known Member
This is a pretty niche question, but has anyone successfully used the Garmin Audio-Video cable (P/N: 010-11921-14) with the VIRB Ultra 30 to both record audio and charge from airplane power at the same time? Here's the product:

Configuration:

• Audio from the intercom (or headset jack) into the 3.5 mm mic input connector
  • Power from the Garmin Bare Wire USB Power Cable (or a panel USB charger) into the mini-USB connector

Results:

When recording while also charging from airplane power, the VIRB records significant audio noise over the expected audio from the intercom. When the mini-USB power connection is disconnected, recorded audio is clear as day. When recording while charging from a USB charger plugged into wall power, the recorded audio (EDIT: has very faint noise).

Without the Garmin Audio-Video cable (aircraft power connected directly to the VIRB unit), I get a very, very faint hint of noise, but pretty close to silence.

Could my aircraft power source be that noisy? It looks more like the Garmin Audio-Video cable is allowing DC power noise to interfere with the audio-in. I get noise only when both DC power (mini-USB) and audio-in (3.5mm) are connected. When each of those are connected individually, no noise.

Last edited:
VIRB 30 setup

I use this for my power supply and zero noise: (USB C side)

12V USB Outlet, Dual Quick Charge... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09D34DTTZ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

My intercom and comms are captured with the Garmin Bluetooth along with my music which comes in through the 1/8 No 1 mic jack. Works well.

I still have not been able to set the system to turn off after so many minutes of no power. That I need to remember to do manually. Really like the VIRB 30, disappointed it was discontinued.

My intercom and comms are captured with the Garmin Bluetooth along with my music which comes in through the 1/8 No 1 mic jack. Works well.

Just so I understand, are you using that Garmin breakout cable (that I included a picture of) for audio input from the intercom, or is it all bluetooth?

Comms and intercom

Bluetooth is used for the comms and intercom and the music comes from my iPhone into the 1/8 mic jack. All recorded on the Garmin VIRB. The playback through my computer sounds great. I’ve never used your cable shown. I’ve also used the same set-up with a powered mount that is now going into the 10 and the 14 will keep the case with a hole i dremeled through the side for power to the USB shown earlier.

Interesting, thanks. My VIRB does not have a 1/8 mic jack, maybe there was a different model.

Missed the respose

The music for my Virb comes from the audio panel 1/8 jack input which is connected to my IPhone. Music and ATC are captured by the Virb.

Back