What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Col Joe Kittinger

smokyray

Well Known Member

I first met Col Kittenger during a job interview towing banners for Rosie O’grady’s flying circus in Orlando. The interview consisted of a banner pickup, tow over Disney and drop back at Orlando Exec then landing. I had 3 seasons towing in Scouts but never flown a Stearman much less a 450. But my Dads adage “they all fly like cubs” was true, sorta:) It went very well and he offered me the job but later talked me out of it, instead encouraging me to follow my dream of flying fighters. I took his sage advice to heart.

A truly great American legend and aviation pioneer has left us, prayers for his family.

V/R
Smokey

Memorial service/celebration of life announcement this Saturday Jan 28th:

https://aircommando.org/civicrm/mai...1cb8b62410093dcbc34160338ccd05_1674515425_168

Last edited:
Memories of Colonel Joe Kittinger

He was a real gentleman...

I had the privilege of being the ground safety flagman for Joe Kittinger back in 1995 when he came to our EAA Chapter Fly In and Air Show at Pryor Field, Decatur, Alabama (KDCU). He was providing rides in the 1929 New Standard biplane and required a safety flagman to assist him while taxiing to and from the active runway all day long. I volunteered for the assignment not knowing who Joe Kittinger was.

At the end of the day I got in line to buy a ticket for myself to ride in the last group, but as I was getting ready to purchase the ticket from his wife, Joe said, "No way, you get to ride free!" As it turned out I was his only passenger (capacity was four passengers plus the pilot), so I had one of those flights I will never forget.

When I got home I read everything I could about Joe Kittinger and was amazed that I had been with such a legend.

RIP, Colonel Kittinger! You will not be forgotten.

He was a legend in the skydiving community - as one would expect - and I'm sure the ballooning community as well. It wasn't until after his death that I saw a list of his military awards; silver star, bronze star, distinguished flying cross, purple heart and on and on. Wow. And as you guys said, an absolute gentleman in the same way that Bob Hoover was. I don't know how people like this do it but I sure am glad we have role models like this to show what is possible.

I've read "Come Up and Get Me: An Autobiography of Colonel Joe Kittinger" and it's an interesting read.

51w-u7Pj5PL.jpg

Last edited:
A Celebration of Life service is planned for January 28, 2023, at the First Orlando Church, (formerly First Baptist Church) 3000 S. John Young Parkway, Orlando, Florida 32805 at 11:00am.

In lieu of flowers Joe requested that everyone take a boy or girl fishing. Memorial contributions can be made to the Central Florida Council, Boy Scouts of America,

1951 S. Orange Blossom Trail, Apopka FL 32703 or be made at this online link: (http://weblink.donorperfect.com/kittinger) or to the International Skydiving Museum Hall of Fame (www.skydivingmuseum.org).

The service will be live streamed and is viewable at:

https://control.resi.io/webplayer/video.html?id=95ba84c3-e4a7-4cbf-9229-bfd8593445e3 (please copy and paste link to your browser to open)

Col Kittinger.. right up there!

I think the heroes from this era were something very special indeed. Looking at that picture of him jumping off the balloon at previously untried heights, still raises hairs on the back of my neck. These guys had no prior experiences to go on, and none of the fancy stuff that jumpers have nowadays. Lots of courage and bravado made up the difference.
I think his record jump still eclipses the one that broke his record many years later for this reason. He did it by the seat of his pants.. what a guy! I think his glove had a leak but he still made the jump risking frostbite and worse if I recall correctly!
He will always be remembered.. worldwide
Jim (Canadian)

Back