What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Experimental Aircraft Flying To Mexico

Frankster13

What is the status of flying experimental aircraft to Mexico? I would like to fly my RV-14A to Cabo to do some fishing. My understanding was flights in experimental aircraft are not allowed. I am wondering if there have been any changes.

There have been recent changes that were publicized (link below) by the Baja Bush Pilots just a couple weeks back. Their letter stated there is a process and fee ($1700) that will allow us to get a letter authorizing EAB flights into MX. That fee is a one time cost for pilot/aircraft combinations (or at least that was the understanding 2 weeks ago)

I'd suggest joining the BBP group, my membership expired last week and I have not renewed yet, but will be doing so soon. I'm sure their forum has follow up conversations to the letter they released.

https://www.bushpilotsinternational.com/documents/BBP_Alert_Aug_8_2022_630236dba21e9.pdf

This is fact. I was flying into PVR and i heard this experimental RV calling on guard...lol...that sounds like Mike!

He got a lawyer who figured it all out. Now they just need to figure out how to not get held up for 1700 each!

Wow, when i was going-in the 90’s in my 6a most controllers always asked for a fly bye. Not the old baja anymore.

This is fact. I was flying into PVR and i heard this experimental RV calling on guard...lol...that sounds like Mike!

He got a lawyer who figured it all out. Now they just need to figure out how to not get held up for 1700 each!

any updates on this? I'd like to fly to La Paz in 2 weeks without paying $1,700! If I join the Baja Bush Pilots does anyone know if they have a deal worked out for members to be allowed to fly in and out of MX?

any updates on this? I'd like to fly to La Paz in 2 weeks without paying $1,700! If I join the Baja Bush Pilots does anyone know if they have a deal worked out for members to be allowed to fly in and out of MX?

If you read the letter referenced in post #2 you’ll see that Baja Bush Pilots has declined to endorse this ‘program’, due to a ‘lack of transparency’. You can interpret that as you wish, but unless something has recently changed BBP is not directly involved.

You should check the State Department WEB site to see the status of safe travel. The Sinaloa cartel has been very active and violent lately. May not be the best time for gringos to travel there. Especially outside of the main resorts.

According to the folks on the BBP forum, there have been a few people that have received their waiver/approval to take EAB into Mexico, at least a handful have already made flights into MX without issues at all. The $1700 is still the cost, everyone that has made a post has had nothing bad to say about the process, all have been happy with the communication, speed (= to or faster than committed)

I'm planning my trip south this spring, starting to get me paperwork together and start the application process.

Mexico disallows the use of Experimental Aircraft Special Authorizations.

According to a notice from Baja Bush Pilots, "a Circular from Mexico City AFAC, Mexico will no longer issue a Multi-Entrance Authorization nor a General Declaration to any Foreign Aircraft that is or is attempting to operate under a Special Authorization for Experimental Aircraft"

I believe this is in reference to the waivers/approvals people did get. I'm still hoping we will one day be able to bring experimental aircraft into Mexico.

I wonder how all of this would apply to an experimental flying “over” Mexico? Let’s say you wanted to fly down to Belize…..would you be able to stop for fuel? What would happen to you and/or your airplane if you were to land? Are you even allowed into their airspace?

An overflight is an entry into the country whether or not a landing is made. You and the smugglers will be good company.

An overflight is an entry into the country whether or not a landing is made. You and the smugglers will be good company.

I promised my woman this was gonna be my last, but then some old boy came up and said “hey son, you wanna make some fast cash”??…..I’m a treeeee-top flyer. ��

Last edited:
How would you handle your AOC should something happen when south of the border?

Do not fly to Mexico

I’ve been there many times, in a lot of different airplanes, props, jets and it isn’t safe anymore. Once in a Lear they wouldn’t let me leave until the commandant came back from lunch so I could pay the mordida. They will block your airplane. They don’t bluff at all. I worked in the Baja for a month and it was difficult every day and I was working for the Mexican government. I worked in Mexico City for Mexicana airline and I had to stay in the motel until my driver came inside to get me. It isn’t worth losing airplane or your life.

Permission…..

I wrote the Mexican consulate (in US), asking for permission to fly the 7a to Mexico. Sent it via registered mail in January. Have not heard back and tracking (with correspondence) has been a “we’ll look into it.”

I agree with texdog. I too flew a Lear into Mexico and was held up from leaving, in the airport commandant's office as "there is a problem with your paperwork." I told him, "Well, you issued the paperwork." Things got really tense until I remembered that bribes were illegal but there was no law against someone just leaving money. So, I pulled out my wallet and started dropping $20 bills on the floor. Once I had dropped $100, he said, "you have my special permission to leave." Unlike here, they will lock you up in a minute and drain your family's bank account on lawyer fees. I met several sets of parents that were down there trying to get their kids out while their bank accounts were being slowly consumed by Mexican lawyers.

Last edited:
Back