What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Polishing out corrosion

Rallylancer122

Well Known Member
Hi Folks, I inherited my Dad's rv8 a few years and have been slowly returning it to its former glory. At one point the airplane was nicely polished, but it didn't get touched for many years. The plane has developed some surface corrosion. Nothing major, but white dime size spots (almost like stains). Maybe 1 or 2 per sq ft.

Last winter I took at shot at polishing it with nuvite IIc. Used a harbor freight DA polisher and followed nuvites instructions. It brightened up the metal but didn't touch the white spots. Any suggestions on cleaning up that corrosion?

I don't have time to do a ton of polishing and I don't strive to get a show quality shine. In fact I'll probably paint it at some point. I just want the corrosion to be gone and the plane not look like an eyesore.

White stains like bird poop?
If I recall the C polish directions have you use a wool bonnet on a polisher with some horsepower, not a harbor freight DA.
DA with a microfiber and S first, then DA microfiber and C and then wool bonnet and C. Then clean it up with DA and S.

I have seen the stains before.

Did you try F7 ??
A little more grit on the spot then
C, 5 passes then s with cyclo.

That will take all spots out.

Back