What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Decent standalone EMSs

rsr3

Well Known Member
I’m putting together a fairly traditional six pack style panel for my 7, but am definitely interested in having a decent digital engine monitor. I’m not keen on the style of MGL, Dynon no longer sell a standalone EMS, and the nice looking ones from Electronics International or JPI are massively expensive! Am I missing something? I would be happy to learn of any systems (standalone) that others have been pleased with.

Another option is that I search for a used D120 in the UK…

Any ideas?!

Thanks,

Rob

For standalone, this is the one:
https://grtavionics.com/product-category/eis-engine-monitors/

I ran this for a decade - flawless. I don’t use it anymore as I now run dual Dynon SkyView EFIS install, so use the Dynon integrated EMS module.

Carl

This is also capable of sending a signal to an EFIS-----first gen GRT WS units are around and fairly cheap. Here is a pic of how I used this setup. This is a stand alone setup dedicated to the systems monitoring---keeps the nav screens cleaner.

Attachments

• panel alive.jpg
    panel alive.jpg
    317.2 KB · Views: 183
I'm really happy with my Dynon EMS D-120. They must be around, used, from people doing panel upgrades.

In fact, there is one listed here in the classified section right now. Might be just what you want.

Thanks Steve, I saw that! I’d prefer to pick up something locally for that kind of money though. Good to hear that you’re pleased with it though!

Rob you are not missing anything unfortunately, they are all expensive!

Another option may be a used Dynon EMS D10.

There is also Insight that was mentioned in couple of posts on VAF. Still, over $3000 for their G3.

http://insightavionics.com/bestg3.htm

Garmin has GI275 that is a bit pricey too.

MGL have got the Vega and Blaze round singles but not all functions in one instrument, it would take 2 or 3 gauges to provide the normal functions. MGL documentation and support is not at the same level of the bigger vendors.

EMS

I recently upgraded our panel from a old school, VFR, round gage panel to a very cost effective partial glass VFR panel. As part of this project, I purchased a used EMS D-10 from Walt at EXP. I have been thoroughly impressed with this little unit. It operates perfectly, is easily readable in bright sunlight and has amazing capabilities. If you can find one, they are also reasonably priced and are still supported by Duynon.

Attachments

• A7EF17A9-E4DE-4A52-90DD-F9EBCF8FB3E8.jpg
    A7EF17A9-E4DE-4A52-90DD-F9EBCF8FB3E8.jpg
    346.4 KB · Views: 128
EI CGR30P

i-cRk2zXg-L.jpg

Another huge fan of the Dynon EMS D-10 here. There is nothing obsolete or old school about it: Rich, easy to read display.
Find a used one and live happily ever after.

Walt - beautiful! So is the price tag!!

Thanks for the recommendations, keep them coming…

I’m putting together a fairly traditional six pack style panel for my 7, but am definitely interested in having a decent digital engine monitor. I’m not keen on the style of MGL, Dynon no longer sell a standalone EMS, and the nice looking ones from Electronics International or JPI are massively expensive! Am I missing something? I would be happy to learn of any systems (standalone) that others have been pleased with.

Another option is that I search for a used D120 in the UK…

Any ideas?!

Thanks,

Rob
Hi Rob,

Not sure what you are planning to use for your GPS navigation, flight planning, traffic and weather display, and autopilot, but something else to consider is a standalone GDU 470 navigator with GEA 24 engine monitor.

You could start with just the GDU 470 and GEA 24, and expand the system as desired to include additional functionality such as the autopilot in the future if you wish.

If you already have a 3rd party autopilot, the GDU 470 will support flight planning and a NMEA RS-232 output to drive that autopilot.

Personally, I would rather spend a little more (if necessary) to start with pieces that could be used to build upon a more complete, highly integrated single vendor system in the future rather than investing in pieces from multiple vendors.

Steve

DualG5_GDU470wEIS_GEA24_GAD13_GMU11_GMC507_GSA28_GNX375.jpg

Hi Steve

There’s no doubt the functions available on a modern glass system are incredible, but I’m determined not to make mine an airliner - personal choice. I’ll be flying VFR for fun, enjoying the view out of the window! Basic instruments, radio/xpdr, and an iPad / chart for nav is what I’m after. The trick is trying to keep the “classic” look without too many jazzy bits of kit to clash!

Yes, at times I’ve found it hard to justify not going glass - resale value, capability, etc… but I just don’t think I want it! Just give me a silk scarf and some goggles!

A stand-alone EMS it is…. This week, at least!!

Cheers

You can do everything you want with glass and even with some have it mimic a 6 pack. A single 10 inch screen can give you amazing capability. It’s also been one of the biggest safety advances available in the experimental world. The capability to display traffic, obstacles, terrain and the ever growing TRF areas should not be underestimated. Instant access to information you will spend considerable time heads down looking for in a traditional cockpit is another vote for safety!
G

I think the OP made his point about his philosophy pretty clear...

I'll keep following this thread since my ageing (good I'm not the only one ;)) VM1000 will, sooner or later, need replacement...

We have a GRT EIS Model 3 on the -8, and flew with this one only since the Chelton EFISs were u/s. Using only the GRT EIS is a pain since one has to keep pushing the Next/Ack button to get to the required data... We now got rid of the Cheltons and installed 2 Sport EX screens with which we are very happy with.

Maybe a solution might be from GRT with 1ea EIS and 1ea Sport EX dedicated as an engine monitor?

Maybe a solution might be from GRT with 1ea EIS and 1ea Sport EX dedicated as an engine monitor?

I think that’s exactly Mike’s suggestion back in an early post, except he suggested looking for a used HS or WS display. If you can find one used, it won’t be too expensive, because you only need the display - the attitude sensing parts were separate boxes.

What is it you don’t like about the MGL? I installed the Blaze to keep the look of the round gauges as well. I am now adding the RDAC to get EGT & CHT on all 4 cylinders. I have OP, OT, RPM, Voltage and fuel pressure. It has a built in flight timer that is activated and stopped by the rpm reading. It also tracks maintenance (oil change) based on flight time which is really run time as it starts tracking time at a low RPM. You can wire an alarm annunciation, either aural or light when limits are exceeded. My original issue was that you don’t have everything on the screen at once. The rpm, volts and CHT/EGT’s stay on the main screen but pressure and temp readings scroll. After a couple of flights I appreciate the layout simply because I want to be able to glance and not navigate a very cluttered screen. All in all I like it since it’s a 3” round gauge.

I am with Walt. The EI CGR 30P is an awesome unit. Works great and a beauty to behold. I too didn't like the price when I ordered it but after flying it for the first time I was super glad I went with it. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

Just to come back to the thread since there’s been recent posts… I ended up getting a barely used Dynon D10-EMS for a good price.

The unit itself might not be cutting edge but it tells me everything I need it to. Hopefully I’ll be happy with that! Thanks everyone for their input.

Back