What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV10 CFI in PHX area?

mulde35d

Well Known Member
Friend
About halfway through my build and getting insurance quotes. I have a few hours of RV10 and RV14 time and I myself am a CFI, but insurance quotes require me to get 1 hour of dual instruction before I am covered in the RV10 that I am building.

No RV10s with CFIs that I know of in the TN/KY area, but we are visiting the Phoenix area in March so I am hoping someone out there with an RV10 would be able to provide 1 hr of instruction. Tracking LODA requirements and all. If someone is willing to talk it over please send me a PM and we can talk details. Can also provide a bi-ennial or IPC in return if desired.

It's prolly no help but I have a friend who is a CFII in TN that has experience in an RV-10. He doesn't own or have access to a -10 in TN, but he's flown mine a few hours.

-Marc

It's prolly no help but I have a friend who is a CFII in TN that has experience in an RV-10. He doesn't own or have access to a -10 in TN, but he's flown mine a few hours.

-Marc

Appreciate it, but the aircraft is the difficult part of this problem.

Still looking for any CFIs with an RV10 in the Phoenix area. Happy to pay for your instructional time IAW the new LODA changes. I will be in the area in 2 weeks and only looking for 1 hour.

Still looking for any CFIs with an RV10 in the Phoenix area. Happy to pay for your instructional time IAW the new LODA changes. I will be in the area in 2 weeks and only looking for 1 hour.

There aren't any in the Valley. Best bet is to go with Mike Seager in Oregon or Alex DeDominicis in Texas.

You should know it is not the ‘new’ LODA at issue here. In fact, the law has changed and the ‘new loda’ is no longer needed. The issue is the ‘old LODA’, and insurance, since you are asking the cfi to provide the airplane, for hire, contrary to the usual ‘not for hire’ restriction on EAB aircraft. The ‘old LODA’ can be obtained, with some hassle, from the FSDO. The real issue is insurance. Instruction of others for hire is not covered in standard policies, and adding it seems to double or triple insurance rates. Which means many cfi’s, myself included, have dropped out of this training. There are a number of current threads on this topic.

Added info:
Unless you are working on the -10 full time, it is probably too early to get transition training. Insurance companies probably want it within the last 6-12 months (ask your broker).
If your finances allow it, you could ‘go bare’ for the first 10 hours of phase 1. After that they won’t require transition training.
If you really want one hour dual in a -10 and want to come to the SFO area (KLVK), PM me and I’ll do it for the cost of gas (cfi brotherhood thing). I do have the old LODA but not insurance, I’d ask you and your spouse to sign some sort of (probably worthless) waiver.

Added info:
Unless you are working on the -10 full time, it is probably too early to get transition training. Insurance companies probably want it within the last 6-12 months (ask your broker).
If your finances allow it, you could ‘go bare’ for the first 10 hours of phase 1. After that they won’t require transition training.
If you really want one hour dual in a -10 and want to come to the SFO area (KLVK), PM me and I’ll do it for the cost of gas (cfi brotherhood thing). I do have the old LODA but not insurance, I’d ask you and your spouse to sign some sort of (probably worthless) waiver.

Appreciate the input from all. I have spoken to the insurance company and based on my experience with the 10 and 14 I only need the 1 hour of dual. I am planning to help another friend do the phase 1 on his plane this fall / winter, so now is the right time. Tracking all the insurance stuff, just trying to find someone for an hour who may want some lunch or or something like that in good faith. Still have some time, so no need to make specific travel to do this, just trying to find someone during my various trips around the country that may be willing to assist.

>>There aren't any in the Valley.<<

Actually there are at least 3 or 4, including me. Mar is busy for me and also when I do my condition inspection, but reach out when you have hard dates and I'll see if I can help. I don't go looking for CFI work but I have done a few checkouts.

>>There aren't any in the Valley.<<

Actually there are at least 3 or 4, including me. Mar is busy for me and also when I do my condition inspection, but reach out when you have hard dates and I'll see if I can help. I don't go looking for CFI work but I have done a few checkouts.

I know plenty of CFI's and a few 10 owners and you're the first that I know of then that offers checkouts in a 10.

Back