What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Poll: Any Reason to Install Marker Beacon Receiver/Antenna?

Is a Marker Beacon Receiver Necessary?

• No. Not necessary anywhere.

Votes: 18 66.7%
  • Not necessary in the US, but necessary elsewhere.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only necessary if executing an ILS approach without GPS overlay

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Who knows?

Votes: 4 14.8%

• Total voters

Well Known Member
What's your informed opinion? Is there any reason to install a marker beacon antenna and receiver? Any implications for international flight under IFR if your airplane is not equipped with a MB receiver?

It seems most instrument approaches now don't need one if an IFR approved GPS navigator is installed. What happens if GPS is out and you need to do an ILS? Is it legal to begin such an approach without either GPS or a functional Marker Beacon?

Some sources I've found have suggested it's not necessary, but none of them seem to be authoritative.

On an ILS, IIRC, you need to identify the FAF and that used to be done with the Outer Marker -- but other ways work, also.

For an anecdotal answer, check out how many audio panels these days do and how many don't have a marker beacon receiver. Then check all the ILS approaches in your area and see how many have Outer Markers...

This is the long way of saying no.

On an ILS, IIRC, you need to identify the FAF and that used to be done with the Outer Marker -- but other ways work, also….

This is the long way of saying no.

Note that the MB was a legally required sanity check, that the GS was operating properly. In practice, it’s easy to shoot the ILS without MB (but maybe not legal or wise). LOC approach, that’s different.
Both my home field and nearby KSCK have removed MBs/compass locators. At LVK they now use a DME fix for the FAF, so if gps goes down I cannot legally shoot the ILS (I don’t have a DME). But over at SCK a VOR cross-fix is now used to determine the FAF. Since I have a single SL-30 nav radio which can multiplex both the primary and standby nav signals, it goes like this: Loc/GS displayed (GRT Hx) as primary nav signals on the HSI display; cross fix VOR displayed around the HSI as an RMI bearing pointer. It’s actually pretty slick.
Answer to OP question: No, I have no MB receiver.

My RV-6 first flew September 17, 1997 with an installed marker beacon receiver and antenna. I have flown the aircraft IFR. In the almost 25-years, the marker beacon was not NEEDED.

The issue I have is PS Engineering’s very nice PDA 360EX audio panel I put into th the RV-8 (no marker beacon) seems to now be discontinued. I assume the replacement for the PDA 360EX is the certified PMA450C, but pricey even without the marker beacon. Too bad.

But if you do install a marker beacon receiver do not waste money on an antenna. A ~36” piece of wire that is suspended under the engine works just fine. Connect the wire to a BNC bulkhead connector on the firewall, then to the marker beacon receiver. That is what I did in the RV-10. I know it works as I get the MB when flying over a field at altitude. Never used it for an approach however.

Carl

Last edited:
Some good reading on the subject of Marker Beacons.

https://www.pgaafly.com/post/marker-beacons-who-needs-them

I actually did come across that one in my searching on the topic. It seems pretty flatly stated and well documented, but it's not an "authoritative" source.

I have flown a number of ILS approaches in the area here and in other states where the various markers are out of service and there's no particular NOTAM that I can find that mentions requiring a GPS overlay or whatever, so I'm leaning toward the "Marker receiver is not necessary" camp.

But I wanted to hear what people here have done.

Carl, if I were to install one, I was going to do exactly what you suggested, with the wire (but placed in one of the wing root fairings). Not sure I'll bother.

The fleet of 737-800 and max that my x-employer flys international and domestic does not have marker beacons..... just a reference point

Back