What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aero Sport Power a good experience.

TOAD

Well Known Member
I feel that it would be appropriate to pass along a good experience I just had with Bart and Sue. First I just did a first engine start on an IO-360 built by Aero Sport. It sat on the plane for the last 4 years through two moves and all the other excuses I have for not being finished yet. It fired up and ran no problems. No leaks no runs, no errors. Well? after I reversed the two leads on the Light speed plasma II ignition I had hooked up backwards. Hey how are you supposed to know which the left mag vs. the right is when both coils cross to both left and right on the engine :confused: ?.. But I digress?

I have a Citabria which lost compression on a cylinder so I asked Aero Sport to hustle one down to me. Through a misunderstanding over which engine the cylinder was for I ended up with the wrong one. I needed one for an O-235-C1 on a Citabria not the new engine you built or a 320! I opened the box and immediately knew what had happened. A call to Sue and the new piston and jug were on the way down. Although it may have been my fault they took the wrong one back and had me flying again in a week. No extra charges, no restocking fees, no hassle. They also custom build a return tube for the Air/Oil separator for me in the process. Great service! Great attitude!

I agree... they are a first rate organization. I needed a new fuel injector line because one of mine was scratched. No questions, sent a new one the next day no charge. Just wish they were closer!

I have a 0-320-D1A from Aerosport in my RV6. I've called a number of times with stupid questions and Sue always puts Bart on the phone. No leave a message, or he's busy and will call you back (then never does). I will definitely use them again. They support their customers.
One note though, If you live in a state with sales tax, US customs will inform your state taxing authority, who will then come looking for their money (ask me how I know). Ship it to a state with no sales tax!

Doug

P.S. But only if you live in a state with no sales tax of course, I would never suggest anyone try to evade contributing to their state treasury!

Doug hit the nail on the head. They always answer the phone and do everything possible to give you the information or solution you seek. Bart and Sue are, unfortunately, an anomaly and not the norm in any industry. If you need an Aircraft engine, you need to call Aero Sport.

I happen to live in one of those above mentioned states. I'd be happy to help with saving some cash. Drop me an email if you're interested.

Proximity

Scott Will said:
Just wish they were closer!

From where I sit the same Continent IS close :eek:

But when the time comes I will be using Aerosport as I have heard so many good things about them...and it will be an excuse to fly over the Pond to visit them :D

Aerosport to the Rescue

I have an O-320 Aerosport engine on my -4. It is jet-smooth. It now has 330 hours of perfect performance. Another builder on our field just completed his beautiful -7A, complete with an Aerosport IO-360. Why did he choose Aerosport? Because the originally selected engine maker (well known in the RV world) drug the building process out nearly half a year beyond the promised delivery date. Then, the week it was to finally ship, called and said he'd have to delay shipping even longer due to not having a key component available to finish the motor. My friend cancelled his order and immediately called Areosport and told them the situation. Aerosport said they'd have the motor to him in six weeks or less . . . and they did! By the way, his first flight was last week and the engine (and plane) run perfectly.

Go with Aerosport!

I have an Aero Sport Power O-360 on my Long EZ and I couldn't be happier with it.

I have never had better customer service than from Aero Sport Power. E.g. Bought my engine in 1999, had it delivered to Melbourne Australia. In 2002 I went to Seattle for 3.5 years and took my 60% complete LEZ. I bought 9.2:1 pistons for it. They put the new pistons in, repainted the engine, gave it a once over and delivered it back to me in Seattle for no charge. When I built up my new downdraft cooling system they sent me an old 360 pot to Australia to use as a mold. No charge. I've gotten various bits and peices as I changed my Long EZ systems, nil charge...

I would contact Bart and Sue at ASP for an engine, without hesitation. Buy and rest easy, you made the right choice.

They are the BEST!

If you need an Aircraft engine, you need to call Aero Sport.

They are one of the best IMHO. I have e-mailed them several times with "dumb" questions. They always have a response. When I changed out a LSE ignition to a mag they sent all the parts I needed for a modest fee. Very helpful when I had questions about low oil pressure.

Bart & Sue are good folks to know. VERY RV oriented. If you need an engine talk to them.

http://www.aerosportpower.com/

I called them about an engine that I did not even buy from them that was over 4 years old and Bart answered my questions without even thinking about it.

One thing for sure if I ever need another engine, they will be high on the list!

I picked up my IO-360 from them two weeks ago for my RV-7. After the engine was assembled Sue arranged to wait for the test run until I could be there. They are great and it was great watching the test runs on the engine. I am close enough I could drive there to pick up the engine. They have been great to work with and it was interesting to see their operation. I would buy from them again without even thinking about it.

Aren't they a Canadian company. How does it work with shipping and customs to ship to the US? Is is significantly more money than buying from a US company?

Beware!!!

These are really good people. I talked with them a few years ago and they were very helpful as I researched engine choices. I was first going to put a Subaru engine on my plane from a now defunct Canadian engine company. When I finally got the engine I was hit with Customs Fees and later State Sales Tax. (Customs notifies your State Dept of Revenue)

As a result, of the Customs Fees and State Sales tax, when I decided to buy a REAL engine, I went American and an ECI. Again, nothing against Aerosport, and if they were on this side of the border, I'd buy from them. However, the Customs fees and State sales tax negated any savings.

So, before you buy, check into the Customs Fees and your State sales tax situation. Some States don't have sales tax so it may not apply to you.

Aerosport is selling the same engines you can get from several very reputable US companies. You may ended up saving money.

Aren't they a Canadian company. How does it work with shipping and customs to ship to the US? Is is significantly more money than buying from a US company?

mine's coming!

My Aerosport overhauled O-320 is coming in about a month! Talked to Bart on the phone a couple of months back, and he was very helpful in helping me select the best options for me.

Back