What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil question

Chappyd

Well Known Member
I have about 8 qts of Exxon Elite oil on hand that was bought back in 2006-2007. It's from a case I bought, then sold my plane before I used it. Is there any reason it wouldn't be ok to use it now? My engine is ready to go to regular multi weight oil now, and I thought I would change the oil today, seeing as there's no work today (for me) due to power outages here in CT.

i dont see why not.

i left a couple weeks ago from ct and cant believe such a storm.

hope to meet up next summer in ct. pm me your email so i can keep in touch then. how much snow did you get and where?

oil

That oil was probably in the ground for a million years. Should be ok in the bottle for at least a decade.

EliteEtc.com: What is the shelf life for Exxon aviation piston engine oils?

ExxonMobil: The shelf life for most of the oils is 5 years under normal storage conditions. The date of manufacture can be determined using the batch and fill codes printed on each bottle. The shelf life of Exxon Elite 20W-50 is 4 years.

Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

Back