What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oshkosh AirVenture question

Alan Gilmore

Hello,

I would like to take a big metal tube to AirVenture this year (my RV is not done yet).

My problem is that I can't find any easy way to get to AV from the Milwaukee airport. It looks like I have to take a cab to the Greyhound station, then a bus to AV.

This is doable, of course, but since some of you may have done this before you completed your planes, I thought I would ask if this is the best way.

Thanks,

Alan

P.S. I am coming from Baltimore and assume Milwaukee is the best airport to land at . . . other than Oshkosh :)

Last edited:
I would try to hop a ride on an RV that is heading out that way. I have seen listings for openings in the past. Of course if you are going with somebody that is out of the question. If I didn't have a flying RV I was going to drive and make a trip out of it.

I would say you are right about Milwaukee being best. Haven't done the bus bit, but I had a friend who bussed from Cincinnati and said it was great. You might consider renting a car, also. Perhaps someone going through could pick you up, but that takes some coordination.

Just don't miss Oshkosh!

Bob

The way I have been doing it for years (RV not done)

Alan if you shop around on the web you can usually get a cheap direct flight to Chicago from Baltimore. Getting to Milwaukee means changing planes.
Most of the discount sites also offer a combined deal with a rental car.
I find the cheapest round trip flight to Chicago from upstate NY including the cheapest little rental car they have. It's a easy drive up to Osh and then you have a car to get around when you want.

Appleton, wi is another way in via airline, about 30 miles away, probably a shuttle from there.
Mike

I will be in MKE on Thursday the 28th and will head up to OSH early that morning. I know it's later in the week but you are welcome to ride along.

Drive from Chicago

It's a easy drive up to Osh and then you have a car to get around when you want.

On a good day it is a 3.5 to 4 hour drive from O'Hare to OSH. Add 0.5 to 1.0 hours from Midway. All bets are off if you hit the road at rush hour, in either Chicago or Milwaukee. And don't forget, we have two seasons, Winter and Construction.

Hello,

I would like to take a big metal tube to AirVenture this year (my RV is not done yet).

My problem is that I can't find any easy way to get to AV from the Milwaukee airport. It looks like I have to take a cab to the Greyhound station, then a bus to AV.

This is doable, of course, but since some of you may have done this before you completed your planes, I thought I would ask if this is the best way.

Thanks,

Alan

P.S. I am coming from Baltimore and assume Milwaukee is the best airport to land at . . . other than Oshkosh :)

Alan, look here.... http://www.kayak.com/flights/BWI-ATW/2011-07-25/2011-07-30 Then a bus ride..... http://www.airventure.org/planning/appletonshuttle_EAA2011.pdf will get you right to the gate. Also to the city bus that can take you to the dorms at U of W Osh.

No rental car needed. No parking fees. No walk to the gate. No need to go anywhere else but Airventure 2011...

Last edited:
Alan if you shop around on the web you can usually get a cheap direct flight to Chicago from Baltimore. Getting to Milwaukee means changing planes.
Not true at all. Milwaukee has a lot of non-stop service, mostly via Southwest, Frontier (the remains of our hometown Midwest Airlines) and Airtran. Not sure which if any have direct from Baltimore but I know Frontier has direct to DC/ Reagan. The drive from MKE to OSH is around 1:30, from O'hare add a good 2 hours plus additional time to get around.

MKE is sometimes known as Chicago's 3rd airport. It is much smaller and easier to negotiate as well.

Alan, if you haven't yet sign into the Mid-AtlRVwing yahoo group. You may find someone from our area with an RV that would be willing to take you.....that is unless you prefer the metal tube. If you end up flying commercial, go into Appleton.

Fly Into O'Hare

Fly into Chicago's O'Hare Airport then take a commuter flight to Appleton, Wisconsin. The EAA runs shuttle buses between Appleton and AirVenture all day long. I have rented a bedroom in a house less then a mile from the airport and walk everywhere or get an early AM ride from the homeowner to the entrance. Never needed a car.

Good Luck and have a fun!!

I would vote for the "fly to MKE and rent a car"

done it quite a few times.

the car gives flexibility.

Parking at OSH is not a big deal.

there's plenty of room and its not a problem getting in or out.

Fon du Lac is only a few exits south of The Show and its a great place to overnite.

Marian College dorms are there. And if u really don't want to drive your rental to OSh take their shuttle.

Over the years, I have found that flying into Appleton is most convenient.

Shuttle buses run from/to the airport directly to/from Oshkosh.
At the Oshkosh bus circle, you can catch a bus straight to the dorms if you are staying there. Non muss. No fuss.

If you are too late for the shuttle, a cab ride is not TOO bad either.

Finally, if it is midday, you are most likely to run into a bunch of people head to Oshkosh as well!

James

Just a heads up, if you rent a car from MKE, it will be reeeeeeeeaaaaally expensive. They are all sold out and have to ship cars in. However, if you rent from a car rental company at a random place in Milwaukee, it will be cheap. Just take a cab from the airport to the place.

I did this last time and saved almost $800.00

Just a heads up, if you rent a car from MKE, it will be reeeeeeeeaaaaally expensive. They are all sold out and have to ship cars in. However, if you rent from a car rental company at a random place in Milwaukee, it will be cheap. Just take a cab from the airport to the place.

I did this last time and saved almost $800.00

Yikes! I have planned to do my trip for what you saved!!

First, thank you guys for all the eclectic information. I knew your broad experience would be the best starting point.

I forgot to mention that I am going to be traveling with a back pack, and will be tenting in camp Scholler, hence I will not need a car. Also, I may be taking my son, so I will not be hitching a ride with another pilot.

My two options seem to be:

1.Take a southwest flight to Milwaukee, then the Lamers bus to Oshkosh. This works well because I can transfer from Southwest to Lamers at the Milwaukee airport, and the Lamers' terminal is in the Oshkosh terminal. Since Lamers only has one trip per day, there is a little bit of a challenge is picking the right flight so I don't miss the bus.

2. I can take a bus from Baltimore to Oshkosh with a transfer in Chicago.

Cost will be a bit more for the plane/bus, $420 vs $274 (if I book soon).

Travel time will be much less by plane, 9 hours total vs 25 by bus.

Again, thank you for your thoughts,

Alan

Back