Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2020, 07:08 AM

Default Checklists and Mnemonics

I really don't like mnemonics, as they never seem to stick in my brain. I can remember the cute acronym, but have trouble remembering what each letter stands for. It's easier for me to just remember each item in sequence or remember a physical flow.

That said, my early instructors taught me to do a "BLT" check--Boost pump, Landing light, transponder. Of the three, obviously the only one related to takeoff safety is the boost pump. I never used it much until one day I ended up taking off with the mixture leaned back far enough so that my power was reduced, but not so far as to stumble on power application. After that, I modified the BLT check to Mmm! BLT -- meaning "Mixture! etc."

Now, flying the Mooney, I have a lot more to check before I start to roll, so it's more of a physical flow from the trim and flap indicators up through the mixture and prop, over to the boost pump switch. All of this stuff is supposed to have been set in the runup checklist or before, so the physical flow is a final check that everything is where it ought to be before taxiing out on the runway.

All of this is making me think about what my panel design will look like, to make sure there is a reasonable and easy flow for critical items pre-takeoff. I am becoming a big fan of Mooney's panel layout (except for the engine instruments way over on the right hand side--but I have a JPI EDM right next to the six pack so that's not as much of an issue). I am going to try to emulate the clean panel design of the Mooney where it makes sense to in the RV-10.
Old 06-23-2020, 07:40 AM

I feel similarly about mnemonics, but to each his own.

When it comes to pre-takeoff, I make sure to physically touch and check everything that is red. For me that's the fuel selector, canopy lock handle, fuel boost pump switch, and mixture.

Chris
Old 06-23-2020, 07:54 AM

I like all the engine bits on my left so kids can't touch .. but my master mnemonic works: "If airplane donna fly imma gonna die" so I tend to check everything ... (still trying to figure out how to pronounce IADFIGD", I-Add-Fig-Da" maybe?)
RV-14A #140376
N196 (Flying)
2019 Bronze Lindy

Last edited by bkervaski : 06-23-2020 at 08:02 AM.
Old 06-23-2020, 11:59 AM

When I got my LR JET rating way too many years ago, I was taught that as you took the runway for takeoff you checked, said and touched "spoilers, flaps and trim." These are the "bust your a**" items on takeoff.

For the RV I changed that to "fuel, flaps and trim." Fuel; appropriate tank, mixture set and boost pump "on." Flaps; et as required (usually UP). Trim; set for takeoff. Yes there are other things as well but most will not kill you.

YMMV
Fredericksburg, TX
Old 06-23-2020, 01:45 PM

I haven?t turned a transponder on, or off n a very long time. Not even on my checklist.

VAF #818
Saint Simons Island, GA. KSSI
PIF 2007 - 2020

I just wish I could afford to live the way I do
Old 06-23-2020, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV8iator View Post
I haven’t turned a transponder on, or off n a very long time. Not even on my checklist.
Yeah, I have removed it as well, other than checking to see that it's on and showing "ALT" on startup.
Old 06-23-2020, 09:57 PM

CIGAR TIP (I typically only use ?Cigar? as I don?t remember what the ?I? in ?TIP? was..
Controls free
Instruments set
Gas (fuel quantity and valve position, mixture, pump etc...)
Attitude (trim setting, may be slightly forward or back depending on loading)
Run Up

Transponder (usually left on the whole time now a days)
I (I forgot what this was.. anybody help? Lol)
Prop full forward.

I once learned ?Can I Go Fly Today Peter Rabbit? for Controls, Instruments, Gas, Flaps, Trim, Prop, Runup. There was an adult version of this mnemonic too that involves a ?Pretty Redhead? but in the interest of being family friendly, I won?t post it. You can figure it out on your own or message me for it if you need to know lol.

Wings Started.. 11-2020
Old 06-24-2020, 06:57 AM

I'll take a smooth flowing written check list any day over mnemonics or acronyms any day of the week.
RV-10: #41686 Under Construction
RV-9A: #90949 Under Construction
RV-10: #40637 Completed/Sold 2016
Cozy MKIV:#656 Completed/Sold 2007
"Donor Exempt" but donated through Dec. 2021
Old 06-24-2020, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1001001 View Post
I am becoming a big fan of Mooney's panel layout ...I am going to try to emulate the clean panel design of the Mooney where it makes sense to in the RV-10.
FWIW, I too fly a Mooney and tried to emulate it's panel layout in my 10 build. Here's a couple of pics of how it's turning out in case you can take any ideas from it. Not flying yet, but will be soon!!!

The switches in lower left side follow Mooney flow...Master, boost pump, avionics master, Strobes, Nav lights, landing lights, taxi lights. I also added a blue "Boost Pump" light in annunciator lights to remind me pump is on after takeoff.

Donation Happily Made 2021
Old 06-24-2020, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltruda View Post
CIGAR TIP (I typically only use ?Cigar? as I don?t remember what the ?I? in ?TIP? was..
Controls free
Instruments set
Gas (fuel quantity and valve position, mixture, pump etc...)
Attitude (trim setting, may be slightly forward or back depending on loading)
Run Up

Transponder (usually left on the whole time now a days)
I (I forgot what this was.. anybody help? Lol)
Prop full forward.

I use that also. The "I" is "Interior", and that can be seat belts, door latch, donuts, piddle pack....whatever.
"Pilots are alchemists... we turn gold into lead."