-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 05-09-2017, 01:17 PM

Location: Bay Pines, FL, building in Andrews, NC (new base @ KRHP)
Default Navworx , back in business?

Navworx has just updated their website with a posting for their products including a message on the proposed AD.

No mention of the EXP box.

From Navworx/
Proposed FAA Airworthiness Directive: We are anticipating an FAA AD to be issued on existing ADS600-B Systems. Be assured we have taken steps to ensure seamless instructions for AD compliance. Upon issuance and review, NavWorx is prepared to release a new software revision which will allow for continued operation up to 2020. It is anticipated that the software update will not require removal of system components and can be completed by utilizing existing configuration computer port already installed in aircraft installation. As stated above, we have established an upgrade path for existing customers to upgrade to the new ADS600-B NexGen 2.0 System that will comply with FAA 2020 mandate.

ADS600-B Upgrade for 2020 Compliance: Upgrade of existing systems to include internal GPS upgrade.

Units with S/N 1602000 or earlier - List $ 599.00
Units with S,N 1602001 or later - List $ 349.00
Please Contact Scott Edwards to schedule your upgrade (upgrades begin in 7/1).
Old 05-09-2017, 01:31 PM

I talked to Scott Edwards at Dallas Avionics, the product support for Navworx.
He indicated to me that, at this time, they don't forsee any action from the FAA on the EXP box. If they do, they will handle it.

It all sounds good. Navworx & Dallas Avionics will be in attendance at Oshkosh.

Last edited by roadrunner20 : 05-09-2017 at 02:00 PM.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:54 PM

Sounds good, Dan, thanks for the info. I assume the AD final resolution will be out in several days and should let us know if anything needs to be done to the 600EXP UATs. I hope not!! Not interested in sending mine back into that blackhole just yet. DRR
Old 05-09-2017, 06:30 PM

I called Navworx to ask when they would ship 600-EXP (ordered and paid for last August). No one there to answer call.

I've asked CC bank to recover payment, they have not delivered nor indicated they ever would.

No communication on subject at all, take money and nothing.

I am disappointed.

Why are customers, the backbone of any business, so mistreated?
RV-7A...Sold #70374
The RV-8...Sold #83261
I'm in, dues paid 2019 This place is worth it!

Last edited by David-aviator : 05-09-2017 at 06:42 PM.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David-aviator View Post
I called Navworx to ask when they would ship 600-EXP (ordered and paid for last August). No one there to answer call.

I've asked CC bank to recover payment, they have not delivered nor indicated they ever would.

No communication on subject at all, take money and nothing.

I am disappointed.

Why are customers, the backbone of any business, so mistreated?
David,
Try giving Scott Edwards a call. In talking to him today, he renewed my hopes in the company. Here's his tel# @ Dallas Avionics. 214-668-7466
He will be handling all the product communications.

Last edited by roadrunner20 : 05-09-2017 at 07:09 PM.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner20 View Post
David,
Try giving Scott Edwards a call. In tallking to him today, he renewed my hopes in the company. Here's his tel# @ Dallas Avionics. 214-668-7466
He will be handling all the product communications.
Ok thanks will call him tomorrow...at least be someone to talk to.
RV-7A...Sold #70374
The RV-8...Sold #83261
I'm in, dues paid 2019 This place is worth it!
Old 05-09-2017, 09:30 PM

So, they want existing customers to pay for them, cleaning up the mess they made? Wow....
Old 05-10-2017, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
So, they want existing customers to pay for them, cleaning up the mess they made? Wow....
Not an entirely accurate statement.

As an early adopter, Navworx stated from day one, that sometime before 2020, we would have to upgrade the internal GPS to one that was compliant. He had one you could buy immediately, but it was expensive. Bill advised folks to hold off until later when the price would be much more reasonable. I view that is the option they just announced.

The confusion started when the FAA stopped broadcasting traffic last year instead of 2020, when there were no ADSB out stations nearby that had certified GPS sources. There was also confusion about the ability of experimental manufacturers being able to self certify. This is the slippery slope on which Bill was caught.

Since very few people know the real story, it's hard to tell who is at fault. At this point, it doesn't really matter. Both parties have contributed to this mess. Because of the lack of transparent and frequent communications, I'm sure Bill's business has been severely impacted. Let's hope he can recover. Competition is always good for the consumer.
Old 05-10-2017, 06:32 AM

Default Navworxs

I agree with Oliver, customers should not have to pay for an upgrade that is required for the ADSB unit to work as it was originally advertised. I was going to go this route initially with Navworxs but no way am I jumping into this hornets nest only to be burned when they come up with something else they want customers to pay for.

Dave- walk away from this and put your money toward a new ADSB transponder. I am going with the Garmin GTX 335 special that's being advertised for $2995 (with GPS and antenna) plus the $500 FAA rebate (only 25% used so far) which puts the cost at $2500 for both a new digital transponder and ADSB out capability. I have other Garmin gear and their extensive knowledge and product support for me has been stellar.
"Sure is nice to have smart friends"
2018 dues paid

Last edited by olyolson : 05-10-2017 at 06:50 AM.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:07 AM
been here awhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyolson View Post
I am going with the Garmin GTX 335 special that's being advertised for $2995 (with GPS and antenna) plus the $500 FAA rebate (only 25% used so far) which puts the cost at $2500 for both a new digital transponder and ADSB out capability. I have other Garmin gear and their extensive knowledge and product support for me has been stellar.
The Stratus ESG ADS-B transponder with internal WAAS GPS and antenna can give you the same performance at ~$900 lower price point if purchased from a source that offers aggressive pricing. It is on the FAA's list of compliant devices that are eligible for the $500 rebate.

I just intalled the Stratus and am pleased so far.

Last edited by Sam Buchanan : 05-10-2017 at 07:10 AM.