What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Catto Propeller Installation Torques

zman

I just received my brand new Catto 3-Blade Propeller, 7"diameter crush plate... 1/2" diameter bolts. There is no install torque for the propeller... Nothing stamped on the hub. I do have the install-torque for the 2.25" spacer to engine from Saber Company...Does any one know the torque for the crush plate and propeller???

The Catto's are MIA in Oshkosh and can't be reached until after Osh is over, so I'm essentially dead in the water for the installation until then...

You should have received some instructions with the saber hub, as well as the installation bolts...as I recall, the torque specs were on those instructions. Torque has to do with the bolts, not the prop

Torque has to do with the bolts, not the prop

This applies to the extension and hub. Use the standard torque for that size bolt in a metal to metal assembly.
Catto has his own torques for the prop that definitely have to do with the prop. IIRC (!) on 1/2” bolts he recommends 42 pounds, and 7/16” 35 pounds. But I'd check with them. He did a BUNCH of testing and research recently and found a lot of props torqued wrong and close to failure with charred hubs from friction burns!

Last edited:
On the prop

If I recall correctly, the prop torque numbers are on the prop label along with pitch, diameter, date of manufacture, etc.

The torque spec is on the label of mine too. If there's none listed on the label of your prop, check with Catto. Craig and Nicole are at Oshkosh this week, so be patient if you can.

Catto Torque

My data plate (2015 carbon/glass 3 blade composite for 180hp/360) shows 40 ft lbs. One half inch bolts.

Cheers,

db

It wasn't listed on the Saber FAQ link, but my instructions of the 2.25 extension said to use blue LocTite on the bolts.

The data plate for my Catto 3-blade (68/70) says 38lbs. Mine has 7/16" bolts, that came from Saber with blue Loctite-like material already on them.

Thankx...

Thanks everyone for the variety of answers...as I stated in the original post...there is no torque on the back of the data plate, hence my question...i'll just wait til the team returns from Oshkosh

Back