What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vic & Base Leg Aviation

vic syracuse

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Mentor
Having been off of work for the last 2 ? months, I have had the opportunity to spend more time with my aviation friends than at any time in my life. And it?s been fun! So, getting tired of all large corporation stresses, I have decided (with Carols? support, of course) that now is the time to actually proceed full time into my real passion: aviation.
Many of you know I am a DAR. In fact, I have had the pleasure of helping many of you on VAF get that Special Airworthiness Certificate. I am now going to try to expand beyond that into a number of areas in which I also have experience, such as:
? Panel Installations & Upgrades
? Firewall Forward Installations
? Condition Inspections
? Pre-Buy Inspections
? Ferry Services
? Technically Advanced Aircraft Training
? Transition Training (RV-6 initially, RV-10 and Kitfox depending upon demand)
I spent a good part of the last week building a web site that I hope many of you will visit, as I am embarking on a business to serve the Sport Aviation community. Lots of trepidation here. ☺
Please take the time to go visit my web site at http://baselegaviation.com. I welcome any input that you may have, and I look forward to serving as many of you, your friends, your families, and other builders as much as possible. ☺
For those who don?t know, I live in Mallards Landing (GA04), which is just South of Atlanta.
Happy New Year!
Vic

Welcome to the "Ditch the working world" to hang out at the airport world Vic!:D

Good luck!

Nice web site!

I have really appreciated all your help on this site, and I wish you the best of luck on your new adventure. (and a very nice web site by the way)

Now that you own your own business, you can work half days!

AND you get to pick which 12 hours that is!

CC :)

Baselegaviation

Vic,
Congrats. Wish I was doing what you are. We all get burnt out and need a change. As a matter of fact Paul Rose and I were looking at another EAA chapter member's project and we told him about your DAR services. He is doing incredible sheet metal work on a plans built Thatcher CX-4 and he's almost done. Take care and good luck. We will pass your contact info when he's ready. Tim Pethel

Congratulations Vic! Now you'll have absolutely no idea how you ever had time to "work". Check your PM's for a message.

Paul

Wow!

Thanks, everyone for all of the kind wishes. I got a kick out of Paul's comment regarding wondering how I ever found time to work, because that is exactly what prompted us to think about this. I have been so busy with aviation in the last few months that we were joking about not having time to go back to work. :)

Vic

Vic and Carol

I have used Vic's services many times and his expertise, knowledge and efficiency are first rate. If you use him for any of his offered services, you won't be disappointed.

Full Disclosure: I bought my -6 from Vic and Carol, and couldn't be more happy.

Mark

Vic

Vic, I see you are an A&P, what other talents do you have? I could use someone that can do wheel pants and intersection farrings,, how far will. You travel?

Any chance you could get Tom Swerengen the move to Hicks? We have a lot of talent, but could use him here. ;)

Last edited:
Bravo.

FWIW - the article in Sport Aviation that documented your first RV-4 (way back when) provided a huge amount of inspiration to get me to build mine. IIRC you named it Strawberry Tabs for the number of times you had to make one that fit. That provided solace as I did the same on more parts than I care to remember.

Of course back then you not only had to drill every hole you had to first measure and mark where they went the memory of which makes me an official old-timer. I'm getting used to the idea - not pleased with it - more like resigned acceptance.

Great news, Vic

Now I won't have to wait for a weekend to get you over here to inspect my-7. I have been planning on using your DAR services ever since I met you over here inspecting two oher RVs. We are getting close to needing you and I will be in touch soon.

Thanks,

Yep!

I am sooo looking forward to doing more inspections during the week. I know how frustrating it has been for some to have to wait for the week end (and good weather), and I feel guilty about being the hold up!
I don't know about getting Tom to Hicks. Tom---you listening?
Jay, as for other talents, I do have a few hours and ratings, all listed on the web site. And I hope to get my AI soon. I've been studying and have been under pressure by the local Examiner who did my A&P. I have been using the job as an excuse. That probably won't fly this year. Although, in all sincerity, I really don't mind having someone else look over my aircraft. :)

Vic

Richard...

I still have scars from building that RV-4. I can't believe you remembered the article! I was just telling someone about it today. I think Van just about shipped us the bauxite in those kits. :)
As for feeling old--- it sneaks up on you. Here's one for you: I was at a little airport on the Coast in Georgia a while back and while I was on my cell phone with FSS I noticed a young First Officer from the Corporate jet parked there looking over my RV6. He actually looked at the data plate. When I got off of the phone he asked me if I was the real Vic Syracuse. I wasn't aware of any outstanding warrants, so I fessed up. Turns out he and his dad saw my first RV at OSH many years ago and were recreating it with the RV-4 they were building. I felt honored and old at the same time! I hope I catch up with him sometime again.

Vic

Jay---you are making me think----AGAIN. I hate it when I do that. But---you never know. Oh---and its nice to be wanted!!
Tom

Congratulations on the move from Janice and I. You know you have a place if you ever have a stopover in the City.

Way to go Vic, for the first time in a long time I don't dread going to work now :D

On the other hand, some folks think because I work in this business I should have a super fancy glass panel with all the latest goodies in my plane, I tell them it's because I work in this business is why I don't if you get my drift.

Last edited:
Congrats Vic

Happy for you Vic. You have been an inspiration for me since I decided to purchase my RV-10. I can't thank you enough for inspecting the RV-10 that I did not purchase and then helping me locate the one that I own now. There has been so much to learn and you have always been available for a call and guidance. I look forward to working with you and your company in the future.

John Prescott

Back