What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Solid 4" prop extension bolts

WAM120RV

Well Known Member
Hi

I have the solid 4" prop extension that was sold by Vans a long time ago and need new bolts for it. The are 3/8 and about 8.5 inches long. Vans no longer sell this type of extension, nor the bolts. Now I know that I should probably approach Saber for bolts but, is there a reason this type of extension was discontinued?

The fact that my bolts have lost their plating in the middle and started to corrode makes me wonder if that is why they no longer supply this type of extension.

Any advice appreciated or the names of other bolt suppliers if you have them.

Last edited:
Hmmm

Hmmmmm, 70 views and no response, I guess this question is going in the nobody knows.......... too hard box.:D Actually:confused:

I don't know the answer Steve, and all the real engineers here are off arguing about torque wrenches....but I bet Sam at Saber could answer in a heartbeat! He was perfect in his support of the RV-1 project.

http://www.sabermfg.com/

Saber

Thanks Paul,

I was going to approach Saber for new bolts , given that no one seems to know the answer I will email Saber, hopefully I can g the bits back get this sorted and bring the bits back with me from LA in a few weeks time.

prop extension bolts

hello Steve:if i recall correctly,early rv cowls were longer ,requiring a 4 inch extension.
as previously suggested,talk to sabre (or is it saber) for more information.

Yes, but.....

hello Steve:if i recall correctly,early rv cowls were longer ,requiring a 4 inch extension.
as previously suggested,talk to sabre (or is it saber) for more information.

Most early RVs used a 4-inch "spool" type extension. Haven't seen many solid extensions that long except for the Sensenich props. That may be what you have.

Last edited:
Prop

Mel

You are correct, I bought the prop/extension together from Vans with the finishing kit.

The bolts have been in and out perhaps 4 times while aligning the cowl/ spinner and several of them have picked up in the middle taking the plating SB's or other directives I think I will just ream the extension to ensure there are no high points, and put plenty of rust inhibitor down there, provided I can source new bolts.

I have emailed Saber and am awaiting a response.

I was hoping one of the experts like you would know the answer.....;)

Steve, I have a set of 1/2" prop bolts that are 7 - 3/16 grip. Not sure if they are what you need ?
In the UK
David

0788162 zero zero 57

Thanks

David,

Thanks for the offer. I have gotten to the bottom of this now. The prop and extension are both made by Sensenich and are still supplied by them for RV's.

You can get them with 2 and 4 inch extension. As my 4 is one of the old cowls that required a 4 inch extension, thats what I have. During the building faze the prop was on and off several times while I aligned the cowl/ spinner, did run up tests on the engine.

I found that this caused the plating on several of the bolts to scuff up and lead to corrosion............ not good!!.

The trouble was the bolts are no longer available from Vans, when I first looked on the Sensenich site I could not find a 4 inch extension combination, but eventually, by searching different parameters I did find my prop/ extension combination.

I have spoken to Saber and although switching to their set up would be initially more costly, in the long run it could save money. Prop bolts alone from Sensenich are $300................. what!!!!!

But, I have a sealed plenum and have put a seal that fits round the sensenich prop extension so it would create a lot of extra work to re modify the cowl again, so at the moment I have coughed up the $300 for the Sensenich bolts.

I am not happy and am still not sure why the old bolts scuffed up as there is plenty of clearance round them, but I will avoid removing the prop like the plague from now on.

But again thanks for the offer.

You can have bolts "crack checked" (Magnafluxed) and re-coated, as in cadmium plated.

No sense binning them just because some of the cad plate is gone.

Bin

I wont bin the simply scratched ones, will get them re-plated, but two are rusty, no way I am risking my life on them........ but thanks.

Back