What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 Cowl Installation

Gerald Clabots

For those who have completed there 12 did you encounter any problems by mounting the cowl per the build manual before you had your engine?
Just starting to trim the cowl. 120344

DEPENDS - -

upon how fussy you are. Impossible to be perfect without the engine, but it is very close. 1/4" to some is bad, to others not a big deal.

I did it without the engine and might have been lucky as mine was as close to perfect as one would want. Sanded to the scribe lines and followed the plans.

Now having done it once, if I build another, I would wait for the engine and prop/spinner plate. That way, there is no question.

I obsessed about the cowl fit and waited until the engine was mounted to fit it. Guess what - the Vans scribe marks were right on the mark!

Some builders had good luck with trimming to the scribes and going ahead without the engine. I waited until the engine was mounted and trimmed to fit, and found the scribe lines would not have resulted in a good fit where the cowl lines up with the spinner. Your choice, but why not wait for the sure thing, instead of taking a gamble?

I waited

I waited until the engine was mounted, but be aware that there are some holes to be drilled that will be a little more difficult with the engine in the way.

As others have said can be maddening if you are a perfectionist, but not terribly tough. Lining up top and bottom hinges can get downright ugly if not done right the first time. We had to form an extra space around our exhaust pipe in order to prevent scalding. Good luck!

Back