What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Is it okay to put Gear Legs on without wing on -A model?

idleup

Well Known Member
I have an RV-7A and the next section of the manual is to install the landing gear, brake lines and calipers, wheels, etc. But the problem is that I dont have the wing permanently mounted yet (and wont until the very end when I move from my house to a hangar) so the brackets that the legs go into are going to have to have the bolts take out to get the wing spar in and I am not sure if that is the correct way to do it. Should I wait to do any gear related activities until the wing is in permanently?

no. I didn't even mount the wings for trial until it got to the airport. So go for it. I put my legs on very early in the game. Needs to be on the wheels to transport and the wings are off for this.

I worked extensively on my RV while it was on gear legs. The only caveat is to support the tail appropriately, as if you crawl into the tailcone, your weight may take it down (particularly before you hang the engine!).

greg

Don't install the close tolerance bolts yet

You don't need to install the close tolerance bolts yet. There are plenty of bolts that hold the gear leg mounting brackets to the center section. If you feel you need to install the larger bolts use hardware store bolts.

Save the close tolerance bolts for when you actually install the wing permanently.

Did you guys put anything in the wing center section where the wing spar goes (like a piece of wood) temporarily when you bolted the brackets holding the gear legs on or did you just put the bolts in?

One other question, did you hang the engine without the wings? if so, when it came time to put on the wings how did you remove all the bolts holding the gear bracket to insert the spar without the gear legs having to come off?

Yes but.... do everything you can first

while it is on the ground. Once you put the legs on, everything happens on a step stool and that gets a little old.

Bill S
7a now flying
still got the grin :)

Look for the washer >>

Matt, be sure and check closely. There is a single 1/4 inch washer that goes between the gear mount and the spar on the inboard sides. Easy to miss and you don't want to miss that one. Don't put any bolts through the wing attach holes yet, you don't need them until the wings go on.

Spar is already spaced with tubing on the center bolts. No need for wood blocks. Just bolt the gear leg mounts in as shown in the plans and stick the legs when it's convenient.

Good luck, it really starts to look airplaney from here on!

Bill S
7a flying

Okay thanks Bill. I think I need to look at the bolts again, I thought the gear mounts were held on by the same bolts that span through the spar. I guess not.

"One other question, did you hang the engine without the wings? if so, when it came time to put on the wings how did you remove all the bolts holding the gear bracket to insert the spar without the gear legs having to come off?"

Matt, The gear bracket is mounted permanently before the gear is installed. There is no need to remove any bolts when you mount the wings.

Okay thanks Bill. I think I need to look at the bolts again, I thought the gear mounts were held on by the same bolts that span through the spar. I guess not.

The gear mounts do share the wing spar attach bolts, but they are also secured to the center section as well as the lower longeron by additional bolts that are not shared with the spar.

I think mounting the gear with only the non-shared bolts should suffice at this stage of construction. They don't need to sustain landing loads or absorb bumps... just support the weight of the fuselage stationary on the ground.

And if you're still uncomfortable with this, you could install some temporary bolts in the spar attach locations (temporary because you'll have to remove them to install the wings). But if you do this, I would suggest:
1) As others have suggested, DON'T use the close tolerance bolts, because they'll be hard to remove without marring up the holes.

and

2) Either use a short bolt through only the forward bars of the center section, or use a full length bolt through both forward and aft bars and an accurately fitted spacer between them. Either way, point is, DON'T pull the center section bars together with the bolt with nothing between them, which could stress and damage the center section.
Anyway, I would think just the non-shared bolts should be fine. (That's what I'll be doing in a couple of weeks. So before I do, let me know how it works out for you ;)).

Last edited:
The gear mounts do share the wing spar attach bolts, but they are also secured to the center section as well as the lower longeron by additional bolts that are not shared with the spar.

I think mounting the gear with only the non-shared bolts should suffice at this stage of construction. They don't need to sustain landing loads or absorb bumps... just support the weight of the fuselage stationary on the ground.

And if you're still uncomfortable with this, you could install some temporary bolts in the spar attach locations (temporary because you'll have to remove them to install the wings). But if you do this, I would suggest:
1) As others have suggested, DON'T use the high tolerance bolts, because they'll be hard to remove without marring up the holes.

and

2) Either use a short bolt through only the forward bars of the center section, or use a full length bolt through both forward and aft bars and an accurately fitted spacer between them. Either way, point is, DON'T pull the center section bars together with the bolt with nothing between them, which could stress and damage the center section.
Anyway, I would think just the non-shared bolts should be fine. (That's what I'll be doing in a couple of weeks. So before I do, let me know how it works out for you ;)).

Thanks Roee, this makes a lot of sense. I am still trying to consider if I should leave the gear off until I am done with avionics or not. If I put them on I will follow your suggestions.

check clearance from weld mount

One thing to make sure of is that the wing attach bolts go through the gear weld mount holes. On my QB -8A the weld mounts were already installed another builder suggested I check this, sure enough the bolt hung up on the weld mount hole in 4 places. I had to take the weld mounts out (no easy task) and open up the holes until bolts went through smoothly. If you slow built your center section you mostly likely checked this then.

Cheers

Wood spacer blocks

I left my wood spacer blocks in place for my slow build, drilled 4 hole to allow use of undersize taperd bolts ( not the close tolrerance ones) the blocks extended outside of the fuselage and I used a hole saw to make some 1 1/2 in holes on the outside of the fuselage which i used as a tie down point when i transported it to the paint shop and then the airport.
Gerry 7A

Back