What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fork Weight Old/New

Rick6a

Well Known Member
Granted, the unprimed fork designed to comply with the recent SB is at this point bare compared to the older style fork. I bead blasted the filth off it prior to epoxy priming it but note the weight savings is still significant.

Old Gear and New Fork Weight Savings

As Rick pointed out, the weight difference between the old and new nose gear forks is about 1 lb. 3 oz. Rick measured 1 lb. 3.5 oz.; I measured exactly 1 lb. 3 oz. between my two unprimed ones. When the old nose gear leg (8A in this case) is shortened by 1 inch, you save another 2.5 oz. according to my postal scale. Total Weight Savings: 1 lb. 5.5 oz. (approximately).

Best Regards,

Bill Palmer :rolleyes:

Old Gear and New Fork Weight Savings

would this amount of weight savings require an update of the aircrafts "weight and balance information" ? any answers are appreciated....lawrence...

Re-Calculate

would this amount of weight savings require an update of the aircrafts "weight and balance information" ? any answers are appreciated....lawrence...

Every significant (i.e. measurable) change should cause a re-calculation of the empty weight moment.

No need to re-weigh, just perform an accurate calculation of the equipment moments - minus on the old stuff, and plus on the new stuff.

Should only take 5 minutes...

gil A

I weight a Grumman AA-5 fork the other day... 10lbs, no kidding.

Still looking at a torque tube setup for the -A models, I think it could work :D.

Every significant (i.e. measurable) change should cause a re-calculation of the empty weight moment.

No need to re-weigh, just perform an accurate calculation of the equipment moments - minus on the old stuff, and plus on the new stuff.

Should only take 5 minutes...

gil A

Yes, but you need to determine the c/g of the old fork and new fork. Easy to do, but it would be faster if someone else would do it and post the results.

Do a new W&B.

Yes, you can calculate the new W&B. However, if you haven't weighed you aircraft in a while, I recommend you do a new one from scratch. Airplanes gain weight over time just like people.

Back