What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AeroLED noise

Mona44

Hello everyone,

Did our first engine runs today ahead of a planned first flight next week. One snag was low level noise with the Nav/Strobes on (AeroLED). I have an ES-00184 Noise Filter in hand but no wiring directions. I am not using the Van RV14 loom. Does it go in-line to the strobe or Nav 12v lines?

Regards,

Monica

I used the AeroLED nav/strobes in my wingtips with no noise in the audio system. I used shielded wire to the lights and grounded the shield at both ends. I also ran a dedicated ground from the lights to the firewall "forest of tabs" grounds on the rear of the firewall. I did not use the noise filter. I would check for grounding problems in both the lights and your headset plugs/system. The filter may work but it seems that ground loops / grounding issues are often the cause.

Looks like the ES-00184 is installed between the strobe power wire (Yellow) and gnd (airframe)

Attached schematic (OP-55)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-06 at 4.12.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-06 at 4.12.09 PM.png
    150.7 KB · Views: 216
I'm guessing you used the Van's wing wire kit. Don't.

Use a three #20 conductor shielded wire, like this: https://www.steinair.com/product/20-ga-3-conductor-shielded/

Conductors:
- Nav power
- Strobe power
- Strobe sync
- Shield is the common ground.

Ground the shield at your common firewall ground.

I take an extra step of adding a small aluminum backing plate inside the wingtip - so that the wingtip glass is sandwiched between the NAV/Strope and the aluminum backing plate. The backing plate need not be much bigger than the NAV/Strobe mounting bracket. Take the black ground lead from the NAV/Strobe, shorten so that after you attach a ring terminal it will fit under one of the bracket mounting screws. The three conductor shield also attaches via a ring terminal to this same screw.

This should eliminate all NAV/Strobe noise. Filter not required or desired.

Carl

I used the Vans wiring in the wing and it works fine with no noise so YMMV. The key to this setup is to not ground the light or the nav/strobe at the wingtip. Connect the nav/strobe ground at the light ground post, then carry that connection to the fuse at the wing root or on to the master ground point.

I grounded at the wing root on the fuse. No noise of any kind from the lights in any configuration.

There was also a generation with known problems, if yours are prior to 2018 AeroLed has been swapping them.

Back