What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mixing batteries

Wingit

I have the Oddessey battery that came with theFWF kit and want to install second battery. I have read from previous post the pros and con of the oddessey and earthX batteries. Is there any reason not to have one of each and have the best qualities of each. Thanks

Dave

Not recommended connected in parallel

It is not recommended to mix the two battery types in parallel. As per EarthX: The voltages are not the same and you will over charge the lead acid battery and drain the lithium.

However, if both are on distinct electrical systems, why not??

While charging from the alternator, the different battery chemistries will happily co-exist, though they might be happier at slightly different charging voltages. It's when not charging that the problems will occur. If you have a contactor on each battery and only power the airplane from one or the other when the engine is not running or the alternator not charging, it should be OK.

You'll need active notification that the alternator has quit so you can open one or the other contactor. This might be interesting. My B&C voltage regulator flashes a light on the panel when the buss is below ~13v. The LiFe battery is normally above that so it wouldn't necessarily notify me right away and I would waste precious LiFe battery power trying to charge the lead acid battery. I'm sure there's a way, but I haven't been looking for it very hard. If I replace one of my PC680s with an EarthX, I'll probably do both, which when I think about it, still leaves me looking for a way to activate a warning at a higher voltage.

Ed Holyoke

Back