What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aveo ZipTips

Turbo911

I have decided to go the route of Aveo ZipTips for lighting on my RV14-A. I contacted Van's to inquire about have the leading edge skins of the wings changed to not have the leading edge cutout for the landing lights. The ziptips do not need that cutout.

Van's has agreed to this modification with the following stipulations. I need to note on the drawings that they provided me (part number W-0001-L and W-0001-R) what exactly I wanted. The cost would be $100 per skin and they would run the skins in November 2020. I was satisfied with their response, so I have moved ahead with this as it works with my build schedule.

You can delete parts W-00017 - qty (2) which are the brackets for the landing lights. I also deleted the fiberglass wing tips at $247 ea. You can also delete W-00014 & W-00018 which are the lenses and nut plate bracket.

Lighting is a personal preference to me and this is the route I choose for my plane. If you are considering ZipTips, the option for deleting the cutouts and associated holes in the leading edge is now available. My belief is that if enough people go this route, it will pave the way for this to become a standard option for both the 14 and the 10.

The ZipTip option is more expensive than other lighting options, so it is not for everyone. By my calculations, it is about $700 more that Aero plus $200 if you want the leading edge cutouts removed.

Just my $0.02

Last edited:
Hi, Kurt -- any updates on how this turned out? I'm about to order my SB wing kit, and I'm planning on using the ZipTips also. I'd definitely like to order my leading edge skins without the cutouts as well. Any thoughts, advice, things you'd do differently, etc?

On my -10 kit, I just told them to delete the tips. They said that the leading edge holes would have to be cut manually so I guess they don’t include them on the 10 automatically.....

10 vs 14

The 14 has the cutouts as standard, I was not able to eliminate then when I requested Vans to do this several years ago. The 10 they are not cut so no issue there.

this week I was working on it and it is very easy you just have to cut a little

Attachments

• win t.jpg
    win t.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 562
The 14 has the cutouts as standard, I was not able to eliminate then when I requested Vans to do this several years ago. The 10 they are not cut so no issue there.

Is the -10 wing skin the same as on the -14 except they don't cut the leading edge? I was under the impression that the -14 wing was the same as the -10 wing.

LE cutout

this week I was working on it and it is very easy you just have to cut a little

I see in the picture that you filled in the existing LE landing light cutout. I am faced with the same problem and wonder if you could give us a rundown on the process of how you did that. Perhaps some detailed pictures. Thanks.

I'm of the opinion that you can't have too much light - especially for us older pilots that still fly at night.

On my RV-10 under construction, we have used the AeroSun VX in the tips, plus we have added the RV-10/14 leading edge lights - using the Baja Designs Squadron Pro mounted on Duckworks brackets.

At the very least, you could run wiring provision for the leading edge lights. if you find that the ZipTips or the AeroSun lights don't provide enough illumination., it would then be easy to add additional lights.

Another use of the leading edge hole and lens is to mount a video camera. We did that on our RV-7A on one side, with an HID light on the other.

For anyone considering the option of building the wing without the standard landing lights, it's possible to order the leading edge skins without the landing light cutouts from "the list" directly through the store: they are part numbers W-00001-L-W/O LL and W-00001-R-W/O LL and each is $100 more than the standard skin, just as Kurt mentioned in his OP.

I placed my order for the SB wing kit yesterday, and I made the following changes to the standard kit to remove unneeded parts and add the skins without the cutouts:

Code:
RV-14 WING KIT ORDER MODIFICATIONS

Christopher Klugewicz
Customer # xxxxxx

DELETIONS

W-1015-L        Wing Tip (L)                                           (247.00)
W-1015-R        Wing Tip (R)                                           (247.00)
VA-193          Wing Tip Light Lens                                    ( 61.00)
W-00014         Lens (Landing Light)                                   ( 25.00)
W-00017         Mount Bracket (Landing Light)                          ( 13.40)
W-00018         Backing Plate (Landing Light Lens)                     (  3.60)
W-00001-L       Leading Edge Skin (L)                                  (110.00)
W-00001-R       Leading Edge Skin (R)                                  (110.00)

Total Deletions                                                        (920.00)

ADDITIONS

W-00001-L-W/O LL        Leading Edge Skin Without Light Cutout          210.00
W-00001-R-W/O LL        Leading Edge Skin Without Light Cutout          210.00

Total Additions                                                         420.00

NET PRICE CHANGE                                                       (500.00)

This is great to know. I have put in my change order to my wing kit as a result. Thanks for this information.

Does anyone has experience with longevity with the ZipTips? I'm concerned about replacement parts when an LED fails, especially for the rear position LED. I've rarely had an LED last as long as advertised.

For anyone interested in removing the leading edge landing light cutouts, I received my revised invoice from Van's yesterday with the price change. Looks like you get about 60% back of retail replacement cost on the components.

Code:
DELETIONS

W-1015-L        Wing Tip (L)                                           (158.00)
W-1015-R        Wing Tip (R)                                           (158.00)
VA-193          Wing Tip Light Lens                                    ( 30.00)
W-00014         Lens (Landing Light)                                   ( 12.00)
W-00014         Lens (Landing Light)                                   ( 12.00)
W-00017         Mount Bracket (Landing Light)                          ( 6.00)
W-00017         Mount Bracket (Landing Light)                          ( 6.00)
W-00018         Backing Plate (Landing Light Lens)                     (  1.50)

Total Deletions                                                         (578.00)

ADDITIONS

NET PRICE CHANGE                                                       (158.00)

For anyone considering the option of building the wing without the standard landing lights, it's possible to order the leading edge skins without the landing light cutouts from "the list" directly through the store: they are part numbers W-00001-L-W/O LL and W-00001-R-W/O LL and each is $100 more than the standard skin, just as Kurt mentioned in his OP.

I placed my order for the SB wing kit yesterday, and I made the following changes to the standard kit to remove unneeded parts and add the skins without the cutouts:

Code:

Christopher Klugewicz
Customer # xxxxxx

DELETIONS

W-1015-L        Wing Tip (L)                                           (247.00)
W-1015-R        Wing Tip (R)                                           (247.00)

Total Deletions                                                        (920.00)

ADDITIONS

NET PRICE CHANGE                                                       (500.00)

Yep

I ran into the same thing with the windows and windscreen on my -10...

Somebody on the classifieds got a really good deal on them...

Does anyone has experience with longevity with the ZipTips? I'm concerned about replacement parts when an LED fails, especially for the rear position LED. I've rarely had an LED last as long as advertised.

4 years/400 hrs. later no issues. I run wig wag and strobes continuously. Aveo also sent me new updated power modules at no charge, although I have had no need to swap them out.

Has anyone installed a GoPro or Virb in the standard landing light spot? Is it worth the effort? I'm about to order my wing kit and I'm not sure if I should order the standard skin or the cutout ones. I definitely want the Zip-Tips for my airplane.

Just as easy to screw a GoPro on to a wingtip screw and have an unobstructed view in any direction.

I fabricated metal fill plates and filled them in to delete those holes when I put my ZipTips on.

Attachments

• 7BE0ED53-2213-4AF6-8E25-1E7BCA812179.jpg
    7BE0ED53-2213-4AF6-8E25-1E7BCA812179.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 253
  • 8636A405-7635-408E-8B3E-B11AD85A3391.jpg
    8636A405-7635-408E-8B3E-B11AD85A3391.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 233
Zip Tip Wiring Harness?

What about the wiring harness as a deletion for those of you that went with Zip Tips on a 14? I ordered my Zip Tips and went QB Wing (waiting on it) so I have nothing but time right now. Bummed about the hole being cut out automatically but I'll just fill it with aluminum. If you used the Vans harness WH-00011 (x 2 at $94) did you also wind up running wires for the rear lights? At that point why not just create a harness and save the money?

The wiring harness has some additional wires you will need, and you might be able to save some money. For me I had the wiring harnesses for both wings and added to them. Note the main harness which is expensive does not provide wiring for taxi lights so you will need to add these to the main harness and wing harnesses. (I think that's correct been awhile) Also I wanted to use a twisted pair for the pitot heat so that had to be modified for the wing and fuselage harness. Don't forget about wig-wag synch. Does have synch for the strobes. Check carefully anything you do that's not to plans. The 14 kit is very specific you need to follow exactly what they intended the wire harnesses were intended for or make modifications.

Back