What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Maximum Passenger Load - Canadian Placard

Jetmart

Well Known Member
Looking for what other Canadian registered RV-14's used for placarding the Maximum Passenger Load. Is this requirement for both seats or just the passenger seat.

Is there a passenger limit? As far as I'm aware, you need to placard the baggage limit but that's the only posted weight limit. There is a specifically worded passenger warning that needs to be posted in view of the right (passenger) seat, but it makes no mention of weight.

I post the Max Baggage decal. I don’t bother with a Passrnger area decal as that would vary based on loading & your W& B calculation. Never had any inspection issue.

My local inspector is asking for it. Not looking to debate the requirement. Looking for what number one would use.

Van's brochure seems to indicate that the max baggage is 100 pounds.

Now, in my RV, I only have to post that if I'm using the area for passengers. With the RV-14, can you use that area for a seat?

I know the max baggage is 100lbs. I'm looking for a Maximum Passenger Load. I cannot find it published anywhere. I don't even know what the definition of Maximum Passenger Load is.

You could be a smartass and make one like this:

Max Passenger load =

2100 - (aircraft weight) - (fuel weight) - (baggage weight) - (pilot weight)*

*Subject to being in W&B limitations

I know the max baggage is 100lbs. I'm looking for a Maximum Passenger Load. I cannot find it published anywhere. I don't even know what the definition of Maximum Passenger Load is.

You won't find it published anywhere because it doesn't exist. Your passenger can be as heavy as you can fit into your weight and balance calculation and this will depend on the weight of the pilot, the fuel on board and the baggage load, all of which vary by flight.

I think you need to push back on the inspector. He's probably referring to article 27(c) from Appendix A - Standards of Design and Construction for Amateur-Built Aircraft.
in any area of an aircraft designated for the carriage of passengers, other than an area beside the pilot, a placard showing the maximum permissible load for that compartment or area:
MAXIMUM PASSENGER AND/OR BAGGAGE LOAD: ..............KG (LB)
This does not apply to passenger areas that are beside the pilot as is the case for the side-by-side models like your 14. The tandem and 4 place planes would publish an arm for the rear passenger station, no idea if that would contain a weight limit.

Van’s had a max per seat weight of 250 lbs for the 6. They may have one calculated for the 14. It is worth asking support.

My local inspector is asking for it. Not looking to debate the requirement. Looking for what number one would use.

Stop enabling bad service from MD-RA. They cannot request anything that isn't backed up by the CARs, and every time someone backs down and "just does it" to get their inspection passed, it reinforces their delusion and ensures the next builder will suffer through this as well.

Back