What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Empennage build

dspender

Well Known Member
A few questions:

1) Is the aft fuselage build part of the empennage kit?
2) What is commonly mounted within the empennage structures (GPS antenna, elevator trim, ELT, etc.)?
3) Does a wiring harness from Van's customarily accompany the empennage kit?

A few questions:

1) Is the aft fuselage build part of the empennage kit?
2) What is commonly mounted within the empennage structures (GPS antenna, elevator trim, ELT, etc.)?
3) Does a wiring harness from Van's customarily accompany the empennage kit?

1: empennage kit basically goes from baggage bulkhead aft. Fuselage kit includes everything from firewall to baggage compartment floor/ribs. (except canopy and glass - part of finishing kit)

2. GPS antenna, ELT, elevator trim, ADSB/transponder antenna (some but not all - I mounted in the fuselage under baggage area), static ports, pitch trim servo, yaw damper servo if installed, bellcrank for elevator pushrod. Rudder mounted aft strobe/position light.

3. Yes - for the items mentioned.

I suggest you buy the USB stick with plans set - will help visualize and understand where things are etc.

Thanks. I've sent an email request to Vans for the USB drive, but they've been closed since Monday due to an ice storm in the area. I presume they'll respond to my request when they open. In the mean time, I'll use the resources your link directed me to.

You can also find the digital plans here if you don't want to wait on the usb stick https://www.vansaircraft.com/servic...ns/?aircraft=rv-14&doctype=all&sort=undefined

I must be retarded. I spent the day on that site updating my plans for my tail kit (Delievered in 2013) and was looking for a full printout of the plans and couldn't find them. Gave up and ordered the USB stick. Hope it works with MAC.

I think I just want to reprint the whole plans (I got so many changes)

Cheers
Andy

I must be retarded. I spent the day on that site updating my plans for my tail kit (Delievered in 2013) and was looking for a full printout of the plans and couldn't find them. Gave up and ordered the USB stick. Hope it works with MAC.

I think I just want to reprint the whole plans (I got so many changes)

Cheers
Andy

Mine did/does work on my iMac.

Dennis,

I am in Saginaw and just completed an RV-14A based at KIKW. Send me a PM if you have any questions or want to see my build. I am currently in phase I and have about 10 hours flying time so far.

<snip>
I really don't know why Vans can't just make it an instant digital download when you buy them, but I'm an IT guy learning airplane stuff. I'm sure it's just as frustrating being airplane guys trying to do IT stuff.

I feel your pain. 30 years in IT. :D

Can I tag on here with a question?

What do you guys recommend with regard to ordering the electric trim and tail lights? Should I order them at the same time that I order the tail kit, or can I, or should I, wait?

The elevator trim is installed in the elevator - no reason to wait. The tail light is installed into the fiberglas fairing at the bottom of the rudder. You could wait to install it, if you plan to wait and complete all of your fiberglas later.

The elevator trim is installed in the elevator - no reason to wait. The tail light is installed into the fiberglas fairing at the bottom of the rudder. You could wait to install it, if you plan to wait and complete all of your fiberglas later.

sorry, still waiting for my empennage kit, but isnt the elevator servo included? I only see the aileron trim servo as an option on the order form.

SUPER INFORMATION IN THE RV14 WIKI... THANKS!!!

Elevator trim servo was included in my kit. Stein sold me the micro Molex pins and crimping pliers. Stein Videos on YouTube for proper Molex pin crimping and install. It’s been a while but I think the Molex pins come with the kit and I just bought extras when I bought the pliers so I could practice before doing the final install. I also bought a nice table mount magnifying glass with light. Helps if your 50ish or past.
Also good information in section 5. Be careful with small micro Molex, like the ones you’ll be using. They are square and only go into housing one way. Again, section 5. Round ones push in to housing in any orientation.
Not meant to be a Molex debate...

Back