What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Low RPM ?

N184JG

Well Known Member
What I have ECI kit IO360 with high compression pistons, AFP fuel injection, cold air induction and LASAR ignition static was 2310 and 2750 @ 8000. The plane did not run for 3.5 weeks while interior was installed on first flight I had to abort takeoff because of low rpm 1980. For two weeks I have been trying to figure this out. What I know compression perfect,timing perfect, fuel controler sent to factory perfect,fuel at controller 60 gph,cold air induction clear,engine starts easy runs smooth,Ran today WOT 2010 man. 29" fuel flow 15.25 GPH, EGT and CYL temps ok, boost pump on 35 psi off 29.5 psi , pulled breaker on LASAR running on mags no change.I have ran out of ideas. HELP [email protected]

You don't mention how your RPM info is obtained / displayed.

Since you say it seems to be running normal, my first check would be using a hand held optical tach. to be sure the displayed value is correct.

One of two things:

1) your tachometer might be wrong, as rvbuilder2002 suggests,

or

2) something is keeping your throttle plate from opening all the way. Check by opening throttle on ground with air box off, look into throat of the throttle body.

Your manifold pressure and fuel flow seem about right for wide open on the ground, so your tach would be a likely culprit.

I have a trutrak efis and also a hand tack both read the same, WOT the plate is up to the stop pin. Also running a Catto prop.

Is there any sort of capacitor, resistor, diode etc in the RPM monitoring circuit (external to the EFIS)?

Also check your EFIS settings that could impact the displayed RPM.

Nevermind, apparently the lower RPM is real.

Last edited:
Sounds like you've eliminated most everything, how about intake air? Could someone have possibly stuffed a rag somewhere it doesn't belong? Critter got in your intake duct?

P.S. You said your cold air induction is clear, so that would eliminate my theory. How about re-checking mag timing, I assume you probably did that, but worth a try if you haven't.

Last edited:
Probably a long shot but I remember reading somewhere ages ago about an engine with similar symptoms and the camshaft drive gear was one tooth off the correct timing.

Back