What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AFP throttle and mixture lengths

ronoc74

I posted this in the injection systems section but it seems it went unnoticed. A few people must have used this config already.

I'm about to order the finishing and fwf kits but Van's are unsure what cable lengths are needed for AFP injection on an IO-320 with vertical induction. The cable lengths for a 7 with O-360 are the same as a 9 with O-320, so I assume what works on a 7 with AFP & vertical will work on my 9.

Not sure if my setup is the same or not....

I have a 9A with IO 320 CS prop. My vertical throutle body has the mixture on the left side, not the back. Is that what you are talking about?
If it is there are some adjustments that you will need to do. I did the following:

1. Order a new TB control arm for the mixture (like the one on the right with a one inch offset, S shaped).
2. Order a longer mixture control cable (I think that it might have been 52 inches, but would need to look it up. Vans doesn't carry this. Ordered it from Spruce).
3. Created a bubble in the left side of the cowl so that the TB mixture arm didn't hit the cowl on startup and shutdown.

If this sounds like the info you are looking for, let me know and I can round up more information and pictures.

Kent

Thanks for your reply Kent. If your engine has the usual Bendix injection then I think your setup is different to what I need for the Airflow Performance system.

Its hard to tell

Unless someone has exactly the same setup as you. I have AFP on a FF sump and the standard length mixture cable worked but I had to extend it with some 3/16th "Allthread" , coupling nut and lock nuts.

I had to do the same with the throttle but then I have a left hand throttle as well.

I would just get the same cables and make sure you keep them in a safe place in case you have to return them.

Frank

Back