What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

one more engine selection question.....

Hi and thanks to all the great and sincere advice as I requested on RV engine selection listed somewhere below this post. I did Vans searches and did find lots of info previously discussed. However, does anyone out there have or know someone with a Jabiru engine already flying in anRV? I have possible access to a good deal on a Jabiru engine. Although all along I have actually been set on the Lycoming. I am just one of those people that like to do lots of homework and check out all my possibilities. The Lycoming for sure is the obvious choice and as the saying goes "if it ain't broke don't fix it". Why mess with the best choice?? I am just checking it all out and Thanks, Tom in Ga.

I believe that there is at least one RV flying in Australia with the 8 cylinder Jabiru, but I don't have any details.

Hi 55,

Nothing wrong with checking every thing out but I would say that the lack of input would suggest not using the Jabiru, only hear say but I have herd some good things and some bad, but the worst thing is the overall lack of combined experience/track record with this engine.

I like to fly every day and for my money the Lycoming or Lyclone type are the best value, millions of hours of recorded history and collective experience with these engines. By the way there not just reliable but they run extremely well and perform there mission beautifully, sitting behind a perfect running Lycoming is a joy, even better at night over mountains!

I heard that Jabiru have decided not to manufacture the 8 cyl engine at the moment, and are focusing on their smaller engines.

Here's a reply from Jabiru to me right after OSH this year...

Chad,

The 5100 is temporarily on hold until Jabiru completes their new building and increases their capacity. 2200 and 3300 sales have been so strong that at present capacity they cannot keep up. I expect the new capacity to go on line in April 2007 and we should see new 5100?s soon after that.

Pete Krotje

Jabiru USA Sport Aircraft, LLC

There is one 5100 flying in a -7A in Tennessee, but there are no details. You contact Pete Krotje of Jabiru USA to find out. The -7A is at the same airport as Jabiru in TN.

I've been doing the same thing recently, and for a new engine, I'd recommend building the ECi lycoming "clone" kit engine. You can get the entire engine with shipping, carb, and mags for under 17K. All you have to do is bolt it together :D . Of course, if you are hesistant to do this, you can pay $2500 more and get a completed engine. If you can build an airplane, you should be able to put the engine together. Enlist some help and do it as a chapter project. I've called around and recommend Jesse at AERO as they have the best prices (Rodomir will confirm this). For this price you get an improved version of the lyc with 0 hrs since new!

Back