What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ES Airflow fuel pump failures

RV10inOz

Well Known Member
Has there been many pump failures? At what kind of service life intervals?

We have 800 hours up and had a pump fail. It seemed to be something mechanical internally, not just a jammed lump of debris.

Any history?

Apparently the Carter P74015 is a direct replacement for the Airflow pump. I don't remeber who said that, it was years ago. Also I have this in my notes, don't know who wrote it:

The 25 micron ( 0.001") filter element for the Flow Ezy Model 6 ILA
filter (as supplied by AFP and Vans) is part number 8504-05. Price on Flow
Ezy's web site shows a price of $40.20 This is a direct replacement for
the stock 174 micron element. FYI Bendix mandates a filter element of no
more coarse than 74 microns.​

The finer filter is supposed to increase pump life iirc.

Apparently the Carter P74015 is a direct replacement for the Airflow pump. ....

The Airflow pump is also sold as an Airtex E2315. It's an aftermarket semi-universal replacement pump for EFI vehicles that originally came with an external pump.

The easiest way to remember how to get one on the road is to to ask for a high-pressure pump for a '79 Cadillac Seville (the Seville also had a low-pressure pump in the tank). It's available at Rockauto for $77.89.

Seems the original one was a dud from the start. It was always noisy, growling kind of, and when taxiing after refuelling we always had vapour lock issues. After TOC too. Requiring the pump to be turned on.

We have seen particles in the Andair filter too, that I suspect were the pump.

Now all of a sudden rock steady fuel pressures after a hot start and no need for pump on. Same at TOC.

I think it was an obstructive pump with a problem from day 1.

Anyone know how to disassemble them to see what has gone wrong?

Back