What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vacuum gauge sender

nedricher

Well Known Member
I would like to use a Grand Rapids EIS 4000 engine monitor to read my vacuum suction. GR doesn't offer any transducer to do this, but I think it would be quite easy utilizing one of the aux inputs. Has anybody done this. Where did you find a negative pressure sender?

GRT does make one ...

... my EIS 4000 came with a manifold vacuum transducer ... it's called "Manifold Pressure Sensor."

I guess I wasn't clear with my first post but I,m NOT looking to measure manifold pressure. I'm looking to measure gyro suction normally 5psi for vacuum powered steam gauges (the regulated suction from the vacuum pump).

What you are looking for is a differential pressure sensor. I don't have. My mouser catalog handy but they should have 5 inch differential sensor

Bob burns
Rv-4 N82RB

Thanks for the mouser suggestion. I see they have pc board mountable sensors and I can build it but I was hoping for an off the shelf sender that may be had for a reasonable price.

oops ...

Sorry about my previous post. You were plenty clear. My ADD kicked in and I was reading too fast. :eek:

I doubt that one would work well. it is a 1 bar unit. 1 bar is 29 inches of HG. so you would only be reading about 0 to 1 volt. I don't know the details of the ADC in the unit but I would look for a 0 to 5 inch hg sensor. that is about .2 bars.

however, that unit would probably work well for manifold pressure.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

Thanks 82rb you are right. I was thinking the normal range was 5 psi. But it is in fact 5 inches hg (closer to 2.5 psi) I plan to go with a differential sender from mouser closer to the range I need to measure. It will be cheaper too!

Back