Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Old 09-12-2022, 06:01 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

FYI - Reno/Stead just went to an AQI of 310-424. Anything over 100 is considered unhealthy. I’m sitting here in Dayton (19 miles east of Carson City) with an AQI of 400 right now, and can see about half a mile…..

So….no idea what the rest of the week is going to be like, but was just told all planes are grounded at Stead at this time due to the smoke.

Paul
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 09-12-2022, 06:35 PM

For your OKC route I highly recommend going a little farther west to Weatherford (KOJA) and visit the Tom Stafford Air and Space Museum. Allow yourself at least three hours for the visit - there’s a lot to see! I believe with your EAA or AOPA card you can get free admission to the museum. This hidden jewel is one of the best air and space museums I’ve seen and I’ve visited quite a few.

100LL is also $5.75/gal. Call ahead and you can get an airport car for driving to one of the excellent local restaurants. You won’t regret this stop!
Jim Harris, 2008 RV7A, 2nd owner, N523RM (2015) Superior XPIO-360 B1AA2, MT9 CS prop, Two PMags, Dual GRT Horizon EX with ARINC, EIS, Garmin 340, 335 w/WAAS gps, Dual 430s (non-WAAS), TruTrak 385 A/P with auto level & trim, Tosten 6 button Military Grips, FlightBox wired to EX, Dynon D10A w/battery backup, 406 MHz ELT, Mountain High O2, CO2 monitor, Custom Interior, TS Flightline hoses, ETX900 Battery, Bruce Cover

Retired - Living the dream - going broke!
Old 09-12-2022, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellerDaisy View Post
Standard warning: The rocks are very high out here and density altitude is a real thing (even in the fall). Be sure to understand what that means and how to operate in it (for example - possibly leaning for takeoff, expecting half your normal takeoff/climb performance, etc.). Watch the winds aloft forecast when over the mountains. If over 50kts @18,000, expect it to be turbulent - depending on your location, this may be a no-fly day.

If you're going to fly super high and in the middle of the day, routing doesn't matter too much as can't see anything anyway. If you are going to be airborne early when the light is good and get down where you can see the sights… Nothing wrong with taking the northern (I-80) or southern (I-40) routes but the sightseeing is really great between the two.

This is excellent advice. Both routes can be done without O2, but if you can find a portable system to borrow I strongly recommend it. Even if not at required altitudes, having good O2 saturation for a long day of flying greatly reduces fatigue.

To avoid turbulence, and avoid the need to go high to avoid it, plan on early morning departures when the wind forecast (at FL180) is reasonable.

Be safe ... and hope the smoke gets out of there for the rest of the week!

Peter
Old 09-15-2022, 06:46 AM

Default Smoke in Reno

Hey Paul, any update on the smoke conditions at Reno? Seeing some of the forecasts, I'm getting a bit concerned about flying to Reno today?

Thanks!
Scottsdale, AZ
Old 09-15-2022, 07:57 AM

I'm not at home right now, but my daughter and her pup in Reno planned on sleeping next to the portable air purifier last night. The worst of the smoke is reportedly from Truckee to north Reno.
Super-8 bought flying
Old 09-15-2022, 09:30 AM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmandu View Post
I'm not at home right now, but my daughter and her pup in Reno planned on sleeping next to the portable air purifier last night. The worst of the smoke is reportedly from Truckee to north Reno.
The sun just came up here in Dayton, and the sky is not pretty. It would be stretching it to say we’ve got three miles visibility here, maybe 2.5. Our AQI is showing 270, and Stead right now is 290. AQI isn’t directly associated with visibility, but its a good approximation.

The place to check is PurpleAir:

https://map.purpleair.com/1/mAQI/a10...4323/-119.6333

I don’t know if they’re flying up there this morning or not - have feelers out on text but haven’t heard yet.

It’s a “pick-em” predicting what its going to do on an hourly basis, but big picture, I’d guess this will be with us for several more days…..

Paul

Last edited by Ironflight : 09-15-2022 at 10:28 AM.
Old 09-15-2022, 09:45 AM

Default Smoke in Reno

Mike and Paul, many thanks for the smoke update. I’m looking at the live YouTube feed at the airport right now and it looks like really bad haze. Can’t see any of the hills, etc. CXP is also forecast to be IFR all day (where we were planning to fly into.

Really disappointed….was really looking forward to flying up. Always enjoy Reno. Take care and stay safe…
Scottsdale, AZ
Old 09-15-2022, 10:29 AM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Update from my spies on the field is that heat races are on hold as of 0800….
Old 09-15-2022, 11:18 AM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Here’s the link to the live WebCam (at least for today):

https://youtu.be/FLV1SRqRXbk

Pretty ugly looking at 0918 Local time….

Paul
Old 09-15-2022, 11:22 AM

Default RENO

RARA is requiring six miles vis for racing. Stead is currently 4 miles. Reno Intl forecast for a four hour window of six miles starting at noon then below six again.