What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

2005 Wing Kit vs 2009 Wing Kit

mandorfer

First off, I'm new to VAF and this is my first homebuilt attempt!!

I'm ready to buy my RV7 wing kit and found an unopened kit ordered from Vans around 2005 for sale. Have there been many changes, design or manufacturing, between 2005 and now?

I just finished my tail kit and noticed some changes in how much work I had to accomplish compared to others who had built an older 7 tail kit. Seems like the manufacturing went a few steps further in my more recent kit than the older kits. I'm thinking this is the same for the wing, but wasn't sure and this is why I'm asking.

Michael
www.mikesrv7.com

Last edited:
Hi Michael,

Welcome to VAF. I'm still reasonably new to RV building and have found that the guys on this web site have been very helpful. If you can't find something by searching the threads, the guys here will pitch in with good info.

I don't know if I can help you much, but I just received my wing kit a few months ago and the instruction pages that came with it are dated 3/2/06. So something has changed since 2005, but I don't know what. I do believe that the RV-7 kits may not have used the "matched hole" technoligy initially, but now they do. Maybe that is when the change occurred? I'd give Van's a call on Monday. They have also been very helpful for me and I'm sure that they can answer your guestion. The phone number is: 503-678-6545. Good luck.

Brad

I don't know if I can help you much, but I just received my wing kit a few months ago and the instruction pages that came with it are dated 3/2/06. So something has changed since 2005, but I don't know what. I do believe that the RV-7 kits may not have used the "matched hole" technoligy initially, but now they do. Maybe that is when the change occurred? I'd give Van's a call on Monday. They have also been very helpful for me and I'm sure that they can answer your guestion. The phone number is: 503-678-6545. Good luck.

Brad

All RV7s were matched drilled. Not sure about wing kit changes 2005 vs 2009. If there was, it should be very minor. Better to talk to Vans for specifics. The emp was changed early on but I believe that was back around 2002.

Thanks for the feedback. I do plan on calling Vans on Monday to confirm, but like most folks eager to get busy on kits, when I found it Friday after COB, I couldn't wait to get an answer so I tried the forum until then. The fact that the current plans are dated to 2006 potentially indicates that few changes have been made over the years. Maybe there is someone out there with an older version of the plans that be willing to say here what their date is??

Back