VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

-POSTING RULES
-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.






VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

  #1  
Old 01-17-2023, 12:32 PM
RV12_AL RV12_AL is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: Foley, AL
Posts: 11
Default SL40 problem?

My SL40 starts transmitting then stops halfway into a call out and has a hum/jet noise all the time. I tried testing in the hangar by just turning on the SL40 and transmitting to a handheld, it works for a several test than stops after a couple minutes. Seems like after it warms up, then both cuts out receive and transmit.

So - what's best - buy repaired SL40 with 90 day warranty or NEW GTR 200.
and
If the GTR200 - is it easy to convert from SL40 to the GTR200?

Wallace
__________________
RV-12 ELSA (2010)
912 ULS
Alabama - LSRI
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-17-2023, 01:52 PM
NinerBikes NinerBikes is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Granada Hills
Posts: 1,303
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV12_AL View Post
My SL40 starts transmitting then stops halfway into a call out and has a hum/jet noise all the time. I tried testing in the hangar by just turning on the SL40 and transmitting to a handheld, it works for a several test than stops after a couple minutes. Seems like after it warms up, then both cuts out receive and transmit.

So - what's best - buy repaired SL40 with 90 day warranty or NEW GTR 200.
and
If the GTR200 - is it easy to convert from SL40 to the GTR200?

Wallace
It's a lot of work to change out the rack from a SL40 to a GTR200. But you'll probably be ahead in the long run doing so, getting hard to get the electronic components to keep the SL40 working, capacitors and such.
__________________
VAF dues paid 2022
RV-12, KWHP based

"Time to Spare, go by Air."
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-17-2023, 03:43 PM
mdoyle mdoyle is online now
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Xenia, OH
Posts: 171
Default SL40 repair

I sent my SL40 from my RV-12 to Garmin for repair. It would power up, but did not transmit or receive. The flat rate was around $950.00 plus shipping. The turnaround time was 3-5 business days. I received it back in working condition in around 10 days. I know that is expensive, but I was back in the air quickly, with no modifications to my airplane.
Contact: g3expert@garmin.com for a phone number and an RMA.
__________________
Mike Doyle
RV-12
RV-9A, Under Construction
Xenia, OH 45385
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-17-2023, 04:18 PM
RV12_AL RV12_AL is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: Foley, AL
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinerBikes View Post
It's a lot of work to change out the rack from a SL40 to a GTR200. But you'll probably be ahead in the long run doing so, getting hard to get the electronic components to keep the SL40 working, capacitors and such.
NinerBike - you replaced a SL40? I'm thinking about totally taking out the 403 intercom and using the GTR200 intercom. They say the trays are the same size. You got any pointers???
__________________
RV-12 ELSA (2010)
912 ULS
Alabama - LSRI
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-17-2023, 04:23 PM
RV12_AL RV12_AL is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: Foley, AL
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoyle View Post
I sent my SL40 from my RV-12 to Garmin for repair. It would power up, but did not transmit or receive. The flat rate was around $950.00 plus shipping. The turnaround time was 3-5 business days. I received it back in working condition in around 10 days. I know that is expensive, but I was back in the air quickly, with no modifications to my airplane.
Contact: g3expert@garmin.com for a phone number and an RMA.
mdoyle - that does sound nice and quick. BUT - then I think about getting a new GTR200 at Chiefs with bluetooth for $1,550.00.
>I really don't know how long the install will take and what's involved, willing to try.
Thanks
__________________
RV-12 ELSA (2010)
912 ULS
Alabama - LSRI
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-17-2023, 06:35 PM
mdoyle mdoyle is online now
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Xenia, OH
Posts: 171
Default

I considered going that route, but decided I did not want to get that involved in the upgrade. I am currently building an RV9A and did not need another project.
There will probably be a lot of others looking at doing this since the SL 40ís are starting to show their age. Mine is 13 years old.
__________________
Mike Doyle
RV-12
RV-9A, Under Construction
Xenia, OH 45385
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-17-2023, 07:37 PM
RV12_AL RV12_AL is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: Foley, AL
Posts: 11
Default

Has anyone upgraded a SL40 in their RV12?
__________________
RV-12 ELSA (2010)
912 ULS
Alabama - LSRI
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-18-2023, 06:46 AM
Piper J3's Avatar
Piper J3 Piper J3 is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Hinckley, Ohio
Posts: 2,855
Default

Probably unrelated.... I had problems with my SL40 and found the coax connector on the back of the tray was loose...
__________________
-
Jim Stricker - EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC N86203
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub N6841H
Bought Flying RV-12 #120058 Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 830

LSRM-A Certificate 2016 for RV-12 N633CM
Special Thanks... EJ Trucks - USN Crew Chief A-4 Skyhawk
MJ Stricker (Father - CFI) - USAAF 1st Lt. Captain B-17H
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-18-2023, 04:22 PM
RV12_AL RV12_AL is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: Foley, AL
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper J3 View Post
Probably unrelated.... I had problems with my SL40 and found the coax connector on the back of the tray was loose...
Piper J3 - I noticed that the coax connector on my SL40 is also loose, but I think it's made that way, seeing that the little 2 screws they use have a shoulder bushing, which will only let you tighten it so much. I tighten them as much as you can and the connector is still loose. I think this looseness allows the antenna to line up best when you slide the radio into the tray.

Anyone agree?
__________________
RV-12 ELSA (2010)
912 ULS
Alabama - LSRI
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-19-2023, 09:57 AM
n74846 n74846 is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Boca Raton, FL BCT
Posts: 158
Default

A couple of years ago my SL-40 started acting up. I took it to a local small shop. They found something burned out on the board. He sent it to Garmin and they did their magic. The bill was $500 (they offered some sort of break) and I've been almost fine since. I started having other issues and replaced the 403. I still get some intermittent static but preforming much better.

Sarasota quoted me under $2000 to sell/install the new GTR 200.
__________________
Steve at LNA (Lantana, FL)
Flying a built ELSA
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:59 AM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.