What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Throttle Quadrant Advice

glider4

Well Known Member
My RV-8A will have an Aerosport Power IO-360-B2B. The B2B part means it will have a Catto 3 bladed fixed pitch prop on it. I know it is possible to convert that engine to work with a constant speed prop if I decide to do that later. I think I will end up going to a constant speed prop in after 3 or 4 years of flying and when my budget recovers!

I have also heard that getting the engine/prop control cables routed through the firewall after the engine is mounted is pretty hard to do.

So, here's my question. Should I pre-install a prop control cable and use the three control Throttle Quadrant or go with the two control Throttle Quadrant initially and add the prop control cable with a new Throttle Quadrant when I switch to the constant speed prop?

Al Thomas
N880AT (reserved)
RV-8A QB (fuselage)

A am planning on a similar plan of action. At a minimum, I will install the 3 lever quadrent...probaly pull the prop handle out and machine a spacer to take its place. If the throttle and mixture cables end up penetrating the firewall at the Vans recomended location, I will probaly go ahead and drill the govener cable hole and plug it with a bolt and washers. If the cables end up in a different location, I'll hold off drilling the govenor cable hole untill its actual bolted to the engine.

Guys
I just finished my "8" and have the 3 lever Quadrant.
If I had it to do over again I would get the 2 lever and use a vernier prop.
That way you can have looser quadrant friction for the throttle and not have the prop walk back do to spring return on the governor.
I would even consider a single lever and use vernier for the mixture also.
I had the vernier setup in my "6" and really now appreciate the fine adjustment that those controls offer.

Jon RV8

Installing the engine control cables in my -8 was one of my least favorite tasks on the build, and I joked that it would be impossible to remove the throttle quadrant once the plane was finished. Well, a few months back, I had a mixture cable go bad, so I got to find out. Frankly, it wasn't all that bad - a couple hours getting it out, a couple more getting it back in. One thing I might suggest if you really think you'll add the Prop control later is to cut the holes in the gear tower as if you are installing all three. Doing that later on might not be a lot of fun!

Paul

I was in exactly the same position. Decided to install the three lever quadrant and the cables initially - and just left the prop cable sitting out there in the engine compartment until time to hook up a governor. I think this was a good decision as adding or changing later would be difficult. However, I have come to the conclusion that the overall plan was ill-advised. I like the three blade Catto so well I doubt I'll ever feel the need to go to a constant speed. I understand a constant speed prop is quite useful for aerobatics, but if you don't plan on doing much the Catto might well be all you ever need.

Back