What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Most comfortable seats

Captain Avgas

Well Known Member
I plan on doing long non-stop cruise flights and I want seats that are really supportive in the right places and comfortable for +5 hours regardless of price. Two seats that seem to have good write-ups in respect of both quality and comfort are Oregon and Classic Aero. Anybody out there flown with both seats and willing to provide a comparison. Is either one noticeably more comfortable than the other.

I find that sometimes just sitting in a seat for a few minutes doesn't tell you how comfortable it will be after a few hours....so I'm looking for opinions from people who are actually flying their seats (so to speak).

Bob Barrow said:
Anybody out there flown with both seats and willing to provide a comparison. Is either one noticeably more comfortable than the other.

For what it's worth I fly an RV4 with Oregon Aero seats. After a 3hr leg I look forward to getting up and walking around. I fly with no back rest and a parachute with a lambskin back on all flights. The limiting factor for me is the seat, not the seatback.

For me they work great since most of my flights are < 1hr. If I were flying mostly long legs I'd probably optimize a bit more.

Chuck

experts?

Sure would be interesting to hear from Paul Rosales or Dan Checkoway on this subject. Both of those guys spend a lot of time travelling in their planes.

Classic Aero Designs

aparchment said:
Sure would be interesting to hear from Paul Rosales or Dan Checkoway on this subject. Both of those guys spend a lot of time travelling in their planes.

Classic Aero Designs with fabric is what I have in my RV-7. Extremely comfortable and it is ridiculously durable. I have YET to clean my seats after 800 hours!! And this is not a result of them being babied. We step on our seats. That's a lot of getting in and out with no ill effects.

The cushions are a little stiff on a cold morning, like any "good foam" would be. Other than that, when they acclimate to my warm fat ass, they conform quite nicely and comfortably.

Jen and I have had many days where we put 8-9+ hours on the hobbs, and I gotta say the combination of good seats plus O2 has made the experience altogether a non-event physical comfort wise.

Highly recommend Classic Aero Designs. Good stuff, reasonable price.

)_( Dan
RV-7 N714D
http://www.rvproject.com

Last edited:
I've never flown with the Classic Aero seats, but I have flown with Orndorf and DJs seats, and I have Oregon Aeros in my 6. The comparison is not even fair. After two hours on any other seats, my back is ready for a break. I've spent 8 hour days on my Oregon Aeros with no problems.. They are not cheap and they are heavy, but anything which is in contact with your body (comfort item) is not the place to go cheap!

BTW if you do buy Oregon, have them upholstered somewhere else, as their prices on upholstery are just plain ridiculous.

Classic Aero Seats

Bob,

We have the Vans Seat Cushions covered by Classic Aero and have been very happy with them.

My wife and I flew our new RV-9A from California to North Carolina for Christmas. The longest flight was almost five hours and our legs were getting a bit restless but our rear ends were fine. Most of the flights were around three hours and we did not even think about being uncomfortable.

Blue Skies

Jim Bray
RV-9A

Can't give you a comparison, but I have Classic Aero seats and am very satisfied with them. They are very comfortable on long flights. They are very well made, durable and quite attractive.

John Miller

Don't personally know about the Classic Aero seats, but the one's I've seen look very good.

That being said, I did spend the big bucks (relatively) on my 1st RV6 and installed Oregon Aero seats. I'm REALLY glad I did because I love them. As others have stated, they are hard when it's 10 degrees outside until your rear melts into them, but other than that they are superb. I routely fly 3.5-4 hr legs (because I don't have much more fuel than that) and it doesn't bother me at all.

As a comparision, on my 2nd RV6 that I was trying to build on the super cheap & cheap, I purchased a set of the Van's Seat Cushions and....to just be quite honest....I'm going to toss them. To be polite I can't stand them - I think they are cheap, unsupportive, and pretty close to worthless. I'm not even going to bother selling them because I'd feel guilty to the person I sold them to! Don't mean to harp on Van's nor offend anyone who may be using them and like them, but I think they cleanly missed the mark on their seat sets...but then again that's just my opinion after comparing them to my Oregon Aeros.

Just my 2 cents as usual!

Cheers,
Stein.

Back