Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV Building Tips/Techniques
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2006, 12:22 AM

Hi Guys,

Finished fitting the tanks last night, so the wings are coming of the stands over the weekend. This means my stands are available...anybody want to borrow my stands? [Sick joke]..The shipping expenses from SA to USA is going to kill you!

Kind Regards,
Rudi

Last edited by greylingr : 06-26-2006 at 11:51 PM.
Old 01-13-2006, 04:55 AM

WHOA Rudi!

Looks GREAT!

You have officially passed me! Way to go!

CJ
Old 01-16-2006, 01:12 AM

Default Wall mounted wing rack

Hi Guys,

To add to this topic I also changed the wing cradle idea. The wings came of this weekend and I decided to fit them onto the wall instead of a cradle to save some working space. (In my opinion 2 wings next to each other will take up more space than 2 separate wings mounted close to the wall...and I had things already hanging on the wall). I simple welded a L bracket from 2x2x8 angle steel (same steel as used for the wing stand feet) and bolted them to the wall and mounted the wings as you would normally mount them to the wing stands. It is another idea you can play with, and using some of your steel you bought for your stands.

The L bracket 2 pieces of 2 x 2 x 8 welded together and securely mounted to the wall. Make 2 left hand and 2 right hand brackets.

Mount them apart the same distance as per wing stands, and high enough to clear the ailerons and flaps from the ground.

Put your wing onto it, as per wing stand method.

My other wing

I will take the wings down and install the ailerons and flaps on a flat surface then they will be bubble wrapped and then stored on the wall until later in the project again.

PS: Looking at my old wing stands I got another good idea. I'm going to cut my existing wing stands down with the bolted down posts in original position to build a knee high platform to build the fuselage on. I will post pictures about that later. (Can you say maximising your investment in your metal stands??)

Kind Regards
Rudi

Last edited by greylingr : 06-26-2006 at 11:52 PM.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylingr
PS: Looking at my old wing stands I got another good idea. I'm going to cut my existing wing stands down with the bolted down posts in original position to build a knee high platform to build the fuselage on. I will post pictures about that later...
can't wait to see this!!
920-216-3699
RV-7, 5 yr build, flew it 68 hours, sold it, miss it.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:47 PM

Ok I finished my knee high platform for the fuselage last night.

These are my original wing stands

Leave them in place and cut them down to about knee high, run a fishing line around the four posts. Make 2 new posts from the cut off's and fit them just to the inside of the fishing line, in line with the existing posts.

Install some cross braces across all the posts. I wanted the platform to be perfectly level for the whole surface, although my floor is not. I started on one end and clamped the horizontal brace (2x2 angle steel, same as the post's feet) with a spirit level on top then drill 2 holes and bolt it to the upright posts. Go to the other end and do the same. Run fishing line over the span of the platform and install all the remaining braces. Keep on checking the braces and platform are level as you go, clamping braces, drilling and bolting them to the posts.

Then I simply put a 1-1/4" thick pressed wood working top surface on the platform and screw it down from underneath through the braces with wood screws.

There you have it...a nice perfect level platform to start your fuse building on, reusing your initial wing stands. Actually I'm going to use it to finish of the wings of first. It would be ease to move my wings of the wall to the platform, work on it to fit the aileron & flap gaps seals, conduit etc, then put them back on the wall.

I hope this gives you guys some ideas.

Kind Regards
Rudi

Last edited by greylingr : 06-26-2006 at 11:53 PM.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:11 AM

great idea rudi! looks great! what kind of pressed wood is that? painted or some type of laminate?
920-216-3699
RV-7, 5 yr build, flew it 68 hours, sold it, miss it.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:27 AM

Default Thank You!

Rudi,

Thank you for posting your workshop ideas and pictures. They are an excellent resource.

-7 Slider Finishing Kit

Stuck in Lodi CA
Old 01-17-2006, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjensen
great idea rudi! looks great! what kind of pressed wood is that? painted or some type of laminate?
Hi Chad, it is just a working surface...so use what ever is more convenient and available for you and fit your budget. Use something that is sturdy and straight. I used a 2 laminated sheets next to each other from Formica, cause I will reuse it later. When I went looking for something my local wood shop had a great deal on them. To see the stands go up, go look at the slow stop animations of the wing build on my web site, I updated it yesterday. Regards, Rudi

Old 01-18-2006, 04:23 AM

Rudi, looks low. My back hurts just looking at it. Why not higher? My buddy's -8 fuse rack is about 30" high (0.76 Metres) and is tall enough to work underneath.

CJ
Old 01-18-2006, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_John
Rudi, looks low. My back hurts just looking at it. Why not higher? My buddy's -8 fuse rack is about 30" high (0.76 Metres) and is tall enough to work underneath.

CJ
CJ, I thought long about it and I wanted it low to be able to work all around and top of the fuse etc. You can make it any height you prefer though. Component assemblies will still be done on my normal height tables, Final assemblies will go on the platform. We'll see how it works out, if I don't like it, I'll extend it higher, cut the wood, add braches what ever it takes to make working easy.