Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > Glass Cockpit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2016, 06:46 AM

Default Can buss

I'm assuming we can make the G5 the end of the can bus hopefully!
Old 03-31-2016, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upperdeck View Post
Garmin guys, can you expand on this statement?

"independent and dissimilar flight instrument"
Hello Upperdeck,

Thanks for asking this question. It is an important one.

When we developed the original product goals and features, high on the list was a requirement that the unit be the most robust and trusted backup instrument on the market for customers using any brand of EFIS system, including Garmin G3X and G3X Touch.

To accomplish this, we knew we needed to maintain a high level of independence and dissimilarity in both the hardware and software design such that a common mode fault in either hardware or software that could simultaneously affect both the G3X system and the backup instrument be extremely improbable, if not impossible.

We started by choosing brand new attitude sensors. We have great sensors in the GSU 25 ADAHRS and would have liked to re-use those, but to have the best assurance that no common mode fault of these sensors could possibly jeopardize the display of attitude information (however remote!), new sensors were chosen, incorporated, and tested.

On the software side we started with a brand new simplified Garmin operating system that isn't common with the one used in the G3X displays (which is quite large, complex, and capable in comparison).

We kept out many features common to EFIS systems like internal database loading/use (and thus synthetic vision) and Bluetooth to keep from having to re-use or re-develop large bodies of code that are used in the G3X displays. Not only is the G5 display rather compact in comparison to the big displays and thus not the best place to attempt to show synthetic vision, but we didn't want a backup instrument with over a million lines of code! We even developed a new graphics library that operates very differently than the one used in the G3X displays.

Even the backlight is handled in a dissimilar manner. Instead of following an aircraft lighting bus that might be common to the large displays, the G5 uses either photocell backlighting control or manual (your choice).

All of these features in combination with built-in independent WAAS GPS receiver, airspeed, and altitude sensors means you can install this instrument with confidence in any aircraft regardless of the brand of EFIS system you are using.

Thanks,
Steve
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.

Last edited by g3xpert : 04-25-2016 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Spelling.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:11 AM

Default Antenna

Can it share the WAAS GPS antenna or does it need another dedicated?
Old 03-31-2016, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plummit View Post
What about the 900X users? Are we left further out in the cold? It seems Garmin quit making advances in the 900X architecture when the G3X came out. I'm still waiting for an ADS-B solution!

regards

-Marc
Hi Marc,

Reference this post that outlines an upcoming G900X software release. If you reach out to us directly using the information below, we'd be happy to help with any questions.

Thanks,
Brian
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibriggs View Post
Can it share the WAAS GPS antenna or does it need another dedicated?
The G5 actually has both a built in GPS receiver and an antenna optimized to receive signal through the front of the display bezel. We expect most installations will be just fine using the built in antenna, but the option for an external GPS antenna exists if for some reason the installation blocks GPS reception. You can't split a GPS antenna, so in those rare cases GPS is not received by the built-in antenna, a separate GA 26C antenna would be required.

Thanks,
Brian
Old 03-31-2016, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3xpert View Post
You can't split a GPS antenna...
Not completely true. There are a few companies out there that make purpose built GPS splitters. I use one made by GPS Networking (https://www.gpsnetworking.com/produc...dard-splitters) which I split a Gilsson GPS puck antenna mounted under my cowl with my GDL39 and NavWorx ADS600-EXP. Works fabulously. There are certain failure modes you have to be aware of with these splitters, as they are not as redundant as having separate GPS antennas.

Question for the G3Xpert - is there any possibility for the G5 to display AOA derived from the Garmin or Dynon pitot tubes?
EAA Technical Counselor
The Best FAA N-Number Availability Search Engine -TailNum.com
Old 03-31-2016, 07:41 AM

Default Panel

This is exciting as far as upgrading steam gauges more easily than a complete panel re-do.

Can I replace both my AI and DG dedicating them to my 430W? Then, eliminate my vacuum system (or use it as a redundant AI), remove my Garmin CDI (a location to place the redundant AI) and use the new electronic HSI and AI/flight director as my primary instruments for navigation display and instrument flight?

Somewhat related....what pins out on the 430W DSUB can drive this? I have 56 and 47 driving the transponder and Trio autopilot now. Eventually, I would probably upgrade the autopilot to use this system but baby steps....

Thanks,
John
(in Garmin's back yard....I can be there this afternoon!)
Old 03-31-2016, 07:47 AM

Default clarification

In my post above, I am asking about purchasing two units to replace both instruments. After I posted it, I realized that it looks like I was asking about using one unit, replacing both (not a bad question in itself, I guess)

Thanks.
John
Old 03-31-2016, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krw5927 View Post
For those pilots who wish to install the G5 as a backup to other brands of glass, is an external magnetometer required or can the G5 be set to display GPS ground track in the absence of a magnetic heading source?

Absent an external magnetic heading source, is the unit still operable? How is operation affected?

This is an exciting product for sure, Garmin!
Hello Kurt,

Good question. Since the G5 has a built-in WAAS GPS, it will automatically display GPS ground track when used in a system without a magnetometer and is fully operational.

The first picture in the original posting actually shows it displaying ground TRK.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 03-31-2016, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthocker View Post
I'm assuming we can make the G5 the end of the can bus hopefully!
Hi Jon,

Yes, the G5 installation kit even includes a CAN termination adapter that plugs onto the 9 pin connector on the back of the G5 so you can quickly move the CAN bus termination to the G5 if you extend an existing CAN bus.

Thanks,
Steve