What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Jettison with Bowden cable?

Tbone

Well Known Member
I would like to have a jettisonable canopy mainly for the ease of maintenance. My avionics stack doesn't lend too well with the "as plans" setup. I have been thinking about using a Bowden cable setup with a locking feature (shear wire). What are your thoughts?

There is a lot of aerodynamic load (lifting and otherwise) on the canopy (actual amount unknown) so the drag on the pins could be quite high. This is in part why the standard mechanism is rather robust.

So as long as the design was done in a way that the cable and other parts of the system could tolerate a large pull load it would probably be fine.

If I were doing it, I would probably use something more substantial than a bowden cable. One of the T handle cables with a rod end would probably be a better choice.

Last edited:
Terry,

I used the T handle but turned it 90 degrees.

Straight down.

Use for maintenance only.

Just make sure the Bowden cable doesn't have any tight bends as they tend to loose a lot of pulling force due to friction in a bend. But you should be able to size it appropriately to withstand the right pull force requirement at the pin.

I flipped my handle over 180 deg. This put it directly behind my AFS 4500. The shaft was cut and a handle made so I lock wire it to the rear sub-panel to prevent it from unlocking.

For servicing remove the 2 screws holding the AFS and unplug it and the handle is right there in front of you.The whole thing only takes a few minutes and is real tidy.

quick release

I wonder if something like this would work..

https://www.pivotpins.com/products/bea-standard-ball-lock-pins/1820

Like you, I think a removable canopy will be good for maintenance. But I don't see a need for the in-flight jettison ability (I'm building a 9, YMMV).

These pins should allow for easy access if the handles are pointed inboard. I'd like to check that the ball provides enough security so they can't back out on their own (without depressing the button). The other concern with the change would be making sure they are strong enough for the shear/uplift forces Scott alluded to. I suspect they are.

I have been mulling this over for a while and still would like to use the cable idea. I know that a cable is too flimsy to push or pull the pins without major cable deflection but my thought would be to encase it with alum tubing and using adel clamps to secure it. I know it is making something too difficult for the results offered but I do enjoy the "tinker" aspect of it. I really enjoy a challenge. If it doesn't work oh well!

Back