What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PIE flight testing

tonyjohnson

Well Known Member
I am about to move my RV8A project from SFB to PIE. I intend to do the final assembly and flight testing from PIE.

Does anyone know of any issues that would interfere with that plan? I am assuming that flight testing out of PIE would not be a problem because Tampa Bay provides lots of area to fly that is not populated. I wanted to confirm that before I move my project there.

I also have transport issues that I will address in a different thread.

Thanks,

Tony

Flight testing from PIE

I took Verns advice and called the Tampa FSDO.

For those who may be interested in the issue........The FSDO did not see any reason not to fly off the test hours from PIE.

Don't have an answer but am interested in what you find out. I am building at home, down the street from KCLW, but I like the idea of PIE for testing due to the longer runway, etc. I am sure rent is higher there though. I also know that KCLW has an EAA chapter and a number of RV builders around, although I haven't been able to make a meeting yet.

My concern with both airports is their proximity to TPA; the floor of Class B here is 3000'. I think you would probably get a test area out over the gulf of mexico rather than tampa bay; and there really are not any unpopulated areas here in Pinellas County. My ideal would be someplace more remote, where I can fly nice and high but right about the field, but no nearby options like that. Good luck with the move, and feel free to PM or email me if you need any help once you get here, I'd love to take a look at a project farther along than mine.

Chris

PIE Flight testing

Hi Tony: great to hear from you again. I hired a person to fly off my phase one hours. He flew out of PIE but also out of X49 (South Lakeland). No problems in or out of PIE or Tampa Class B. Looking forward to bumping in to you out at PIE. What is your hangar number again?

Don't have an answer but am interested in what you find out. I am building at home, down the street from KCLW, but I like the idea of PIE for testing due to the longer runway, etc. I am sure rent is higher there though. I also know that KCLW has an EAA chapter and a number of RV builders around, although I haven't been able to make a meeting yet.

My concern with both airports is their proximity to TPA; the floor of Class B here is 3000'. I think you would probably get a test area out over the gulf of mexico rather than tampa bay; and there really are not any unpopulated areas here in Pinellas County. My ideal would be someplace more remote, where I can fly nice and high but right about the field, but no nearby options like that. Good luck with the move, and feel free to PM or email me if you need any help once you get here, I'd love to take a look at a project farther along than mine.

Chris
Hi Chris,
Brooksville, KBKV, will offer an ideal phase 1 area. If you decide to launch from KCLW, KBKV will be within the 50 miles radius. It has 2 runways which will provide an escape if engine issues arise following take off and there's plenty of remote areas to do your flight testing.

Let me know if I can help. I could also be available if you'd like me to fly chase on your first flight. I was based at KCLW a few years back and was a member of that eaa chapter.

I am about to move my RV8A project from SFB to PIE. I intend to do the final assembly and flight testing from PIE.

Does anyone know of any issues that would interfere with that plan? I am assuming that flight testing out of PIE would not be a problem because Tampa Bay provides lots of area to fly that is not populated. I wanted to confirm that before I move my project there.

I also have transport issues that I will address in a different thread.

Thanks,

Tony

Hi Tony,
Happy to see you're getting close to that big day.
Let me know when you get the 8A relocated. I'll fly down for a visit and help out.

Last edited:
KCLW does not permit

My understanding, talking to folks who have faced the problem ---- KCLW is city-owned and does (did) not permit flight testing during Phase One. --- I know a couple of people who had to move to Manatee, KBKV or South Lakeland to do their testing.

What Dan said...

Hey Tony,

Glad to hear you're getting close.

PIE is a great choice to fly out of but that area leaves little room for safe emergency landings.

BKV is centered in wide open country as is KZPH. Both will also offer plenty of help getting the first flights completed. 1-4, 3-6a's,1-7,1-8 & 5-9A's at ZPH.

Regardless, be sure to let Dan and I know when you're flying so we can visit!

Back