What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Front Stick Length

mike newall

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Just a quick poll.

Using a Ray Allen G205 stick top, just wondering what length people have chopped the front stick down to ?

Suggestions most welcome.

Thanks

Measure, measure, cut.

After assembling grip to stick I measured so as to have the stick clear the instrument panel. Not a big deal really.

Mike

You need to allow a thumb gap between the top of the stick and the panel if you have your elevator trim on the RA grips so if you decide to trim whilst inverted and pull back a bit your thumb wont be jammed on a sharp return edge on the panel which causes a cut thumb and a squeaky bum moment you can guess how I found out!

Note, if your flying 1 up stick forces are very high inverted and if your there for a while it's more comfy to trim.

Dave

Thanks Dave......

Also,

When you do the walkaround, don't get your pinky in the gap between the aileron and the tip.........

It's still black :eek:

.....and Mike, it will probably LOOK very short! Fortunately stick forces are very light and the aircraft responds very precisely, but I spent about 10 minutes scratching my head and worrying what my mistake was. One of those episodes that sticks in my mind. Ditto rear stick.

Chris

After flying several years with a short front stick (that cleared the panel), I fabricated a stick with a double 90 offset (mitered joint, NOT bent) that allowed full deflection, no contact with the panel and sat high enough to feel "normal". One of the two best mods made to my -8. I suggest anyone considering flying with the short stick consider this config.

Mike... Suggest as long as possible, after all it is easy to shorten it if needed ;)

The bent, or angled stick has it's backers. Apart from the UK "mod" problem, I've flown one and didn't like it. Personal choice?

Clearance from panel depends on the stick top - it is one where you routinely will cover the stick top with your hand? (rather than wrap the hand round it)

Chris says the stick forces are light - they are mostly, but not solo doing "enthusiastic" manoeuvring :eek: I've also found a shorter stick more susceptible to inadvertent button pressing, and the more complex stick tops argue with your knees in some deflections.

Regardless of how long the front stick is make sure that the rear stick is shorter. There is no way you want the back seat driver to be able to "out lever" you.

And while on the Rear Stick... ;)

Most RV-8s have a curved mark on the front seatback, and a slight control restriction at "full forward"... because the builder sets up the rear stick to "just" miss the front seat back.

Unfortunately we all forget that putting a ~200lbs lump in the front seat, and the seat "gives" a little :eek:

Mike,

Once I had the fuselage done enough to sit in it with the bottom of the instrument panel in place I spent a while figuring out this question. I fly helicopters for my day job and have always liked to have the controls close where I can rest my arms on my legs or side consoles. I sat in my RV and used conduit to figure out what size I wanted for my front stick. I ended up bending my stick in 2 places and cut the bottom of my instrument panel slightly to get the fit I wanted for cruise flight. I am able to rest my right hand on my right leg and hold the stick comfortably. As a side note I also moved the throttle back a few inches by making side consoles as many have done. I am 5 foot 8 and 175 so the cockpit is made to fit me. It also gives me an incentive to stay somewhat fit so I fit nicely. If you will be at Oshkosh I will be there in Homebuilt Camping all week, please stop by if you would like to sit in my aircraft and see what you think, hope this helps, take care

Cheers,

After flying several years with a short front stick (that cleared the panel), I fabricated a stick with a double 90 offset (mitered joint, NOT bent) that allowed full deflection, no contact with the panel and sat high enough to feel "normal". One of the two best mods made to my -8. I suggest anyone considering flying with the short stick consider this config.

I would like to second Bob Markart's request for a photo or two of this mod.
Charlie

Andy and All,

Thanks,

Will wait until the panel is cut I think.

Made good progress soldering all the fiddly wires into the G101 and G205, got the exit hole opened in the sticks, was trying to keep moving forward but can be patient.

Pinky getting better btw.

;)

Stick length is dictated by seating position. Experiment with seat cushions (stacks of foam) until you like the height you are sitting. With a tail dragger sitting 3 pt. you should be just able to see over the cowl for taxi without stretching your neck. Drop your hand onto the stick resting your wrist on your leg as you would be comfortably flying the airplane. Put masking tape just above and just below your hand. Then based on what kind of grip you are using, cut off the stick making sure the grip area will be centered between the distance of the two pieces of tape used earlier. Stick length depends on how tall a person is, how "thick" a person's leg is and what is considered a comfortable seating height by the pilot.

Mike

You need to allow a thumb gap between the top of the stick and the panel if you have your elevator trim on the RA grips so if you decide to trim whilst inverted and pull back a bit your thumb wont be jammed on a sharp return edge on the panel which causes a cut thumb and a squeaky bum moment you can guess how I found out!

Note, if your flying 1 up stick forces are very high inverted and if your there for a while it's more comfy to trim.

Dave

I can concur with all points identified herein

:eek:

I would love to see some pictures of this.

I've got less than 10 hours in my -8, but already thinking about how to make the throttle quadrant and stick a little more comfortable.

Back