What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Transition Trianing RV-9A vs 7A

BillSchlatterer

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Just curious for those that know,.... it seems like it is easier to find transition training in the South for the 9a than the 7a. Is there enough difference between the 9a and 7a from a transition standpoint to matter.

I have a 7a about ready to go but the closest A model transition training is in a 9a?

Is there enough difference in the descent rate, landing flair, engine out,...etc to make a difference?

Thanks

Bill S

I am no expert but I just got transition training in a -6A and my instructor said my training would suffice for the -6a, -7A, or -9A.

It can be done that way, Bill....

...and I've had guys come to me that had flown -9A's first and they were all over the place. It's much more difficult to go from a -9 to a-7 or-6. I've had a dozen or so guys come here for transition training in my -6A and then go home to fly their -9A's...all successfully. The -6 and -7 is so responsive compared to the -9's that the transition surprises you. Not saying it can't be done, but the -9 is so much more docile than the other two.

Best,

Transition training

I must agree with Pierre to the letter. I was one of his transition students, and he trained me in his (very smooth) RV-6A. The 6 is a much more responsive airplane and I feel it was a definite advantage to train on it, and then transition on my own to the 9. As far as landings go, there is really little difference between the two, and it is easy to make the adjustments on your own as you build your skills. As for going the other way... I would think it would be a bit more difficult, and maybe a word of caution may be in order.
All that said, the Vans side by sides are all very easy to fly and land. I have yet to see a post here that describes any problem a pilot has had learning to fly one. With some practice and constant attention to your currency in all your maneuvers, the skill to really fly them well come quite easily.
On a side note, I hope I can talk Pierre into some tailwheel instruction!!

Regards,
Chris

9A vs 7A

I did mine in a 9A before flying my 7A, My insurance company was fine with it. All they required was 5 hrs dual and a sign off.

Thanks, that was kinda what I thought! I have just a little time in a 7TD and nothing in A models.

Pierre, sent you a PM.

Thanks Bill S

I have done several BFR's, now called FR's, in both the -9 and the -7. The major difference is in the landing pattern. The -9's glide much further than the -6's and -7's, and float a bit more.

On my first BFR in a -9, I simulated an engine out, and the pilot took his time heading for the airport. I said, "I don't think you're gonna make the airport", and he ended up having to slip the plane to land. In a -7 he would have landed short.

Other than that, they are similar enough.

......One man's opinion...............

I may get flamed for saying this, but I didn't get transition training and I did my first flight. I did get some famil time in both a -7A and a -9A with friends. I never tried landing a -9A prior to my first flight, but I did try landing the -7A. My -7A landing wasn't great, because I flared a bit too high and the owner assisted me by pushign the nose down a bit - i apparently underestimated how fast the bottom would fall out as speed came off.
The -9A is so easy to land, especially if there's no x-wind. My first flight video illustrates how gentle it comes down, and how the nosewheel actually *wants* to stay up for quite a long time. On my third landing I noticed this again, the nosewheel just stays up unless you deliberately put it down.
Check out my video - this was the first time I ever landed a -9A, and I'm by no means an especially gifted pilot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA3v69GY2j4

For the record. Do not confuse landing a 9A with landing a 9. I found the -7, -6 land relatively easy by comparison. I am sure a 9A is pretty easy to land. Of all the RV's (not many) that I have flow, the 9 is definitely the most challenging.

Check with your insurance....

My insurance underwriter would not accept a 9 as an equal for a 6 or 7 when I was required to get transition training.

Each one of em have their own requirements so I would check with em to make sure you are getting what you need...

They would accept a 6 for a 7 but not a 9 for a 7.

Jan Bussel can hook you up in his 6A if you need it.

Check with your insurance....

My insurance underwriter would not accept a 9 as an equal for a 6 or 7 when I was required to get transition training.

Each one of em have their own requirements so I would check with em to make sure you are getting what you need...

They would accept a 6 for a 7 but not a 9 for a 7.

Jan Bussel can hook you up in his 6A if you need it.

They did for me. More so since there are very few RV-9's out there. We went back and forth but eventually, they agreed to let me have three hours in any side-by-side RV taildragger. Talk to them and get it in writing.

9A for transition training

I found a 9A for transition training before I flew my 8A. My insurance company accepted training in a fixed pitch 9A. Before I took the 8A up the first time I flew 20 min or so in the right seat of a 7A with a constant speed prop. I found I was fully prepared for the 8A after flying the 9A and the 7A with constant speed prop.
My biggest problem was the transition from control forces in a C-172 to the control forces in the 9A. These RV's are to be flown with the fingertips.

Back