What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Souix Air Drill

330Jock

Well Known Member
Thinking about ordering tools. Is the Souix Drill really that good to justify price? It is now available in 5000rpm version, is that preferable to the 3600rpm model?
Is the Souix Rivet gun worth the extra money?

Yes, Souix Drills are worth the price. (wait for a deal from Brown Tools or others). They're light and durable. 2600 rpm is plenty.
Does not need to be reversible. Go with the keyless chuck version. I drill the occational hole with a cordless electric drill but
my souix air drill drills 98% of my holes. Don't drop it on the concrete floor.

Sioux stuff

Definately worth the extra few bucks. I am a pro auto mechanic, and machinist by trade, and use several Sioux drills that have had more use than you can imagine. When I built my first airplane, I bought a Sioux rivet gun, (2X), and a 1/4" drill that I really like. They are light and well balanced, and have a light trigger pull. An upgrade to a Rohm chuck came a little later. The keyless chuck adds a little weight, and changes the balance. A note about the keyless chuck...There are many Chinese import chucks out there and I have found them all to be inferior to the German made Rohm chuck. I so far have been unable to find decent ones to run in a mill or on a drill press without a lot of runout. It is a bit pricey,but the only one I would consider. Also, be aware that they are keyless, but not necissarily toolless. You will need to use a 8MM, or 1/4 inch mandrel or pin to tighten them down. They will unwind when the drill decelerates, due to the additional spinning mass of the chuck. I still prefer it to a keyed chuck. Take note of drill speed, and stay below 3000 RPM. As for the rivet gun...I love it, but have only tried a couple of others. All I know is, my AI buddy borrows it a lot, and says it is the best one he has ever used.
Also, consider buying an aircraft threaded angle drill. Although not absolutely a must have, I have found that I use it quite a bit, and it stays on my personal required tool list, along with a tungsten bucking bar.
Good luck with your project!
Regards,
Chris

I bought my Sioux air drill through a special that Brown ran on this forum. I use it all the time. The mini CP drill I had before went to a yard sale after I could never get it repaired properly.

Like the earlier post said - don't let it drop to the floor

Love at first sight!

Sioux drill keyless chuck version.
Most cheap air drills turn energy (air) into noise.
The sioux drills are like medical equipment worth every penny and then some.
After using mine for several years I even ended up buying the less used small angle drill just as sophisticated and precise.
Just like a new baby, the first time you pick it up and you won't want to put it down.
And the short answer to your question, you'll forget the price the minute you pick up that fine tool and it will pay you back everytime you use it.

Myself, I would rather have the 3600 RPM as it will slow down to a crawl for deburring holes. I don't know about the 5000 RPM model. That said, I used a mini cordless drill a bunch for deburring too. I built my whole plane with the Souix mini palm drill and it's wonderful.

Thanks for the help guys! I appreciate the info, you will be hearing from me a LOT!
Bill

Last edited:
Back