What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV SOLD! Now for the real battle - Cancer

jimpappas

Well Known Member
To all my VAF friends I have been keeping a secret while selling my plane which a handful caught on to and that I swore to secrecy due to my kid still being deployed and didn't know about it. Once she found out the secret was out.

My kid now knows and should be home very soon so it is safe for me to finally tell the truth to all my friends here.

I have been told I have a Renal Mass on my right kidney. It is operable and I will have the surgery 6/30. They say it will be orthroscopic and outpatient.

They do not think it has spread but won't know for sure until they finish and will monitor me for a while.

This is a tough one for me as most of my family, which used to be large, died from cancer but most of them smoked. I don't, but there are few of us left in my family so I hope the Doctors are right.

My hope is that I am well enough to make it to OSH at least a day or two since I'm only a couple hours away.

Getting well enough to greet the transport plane when the kid comes home is my main focus for now, I've been waiting a year for that hug and I plan to be there no matter what.

The plane can be replaced, I have to beat it for my kids and for a lot of other reasons I won't go into here.

It went to a great home, it returned to it's home out West actually and I'm glad it went to whom and where it ended up. When I'm better I can even go visit it and my pals there.

I have too many people to thank for getting me this far and for helping sell my baby, Doug and Rosie stand out but there are many more that "figured it out" and called or emailed and kept the secret.

Well the secrets out, even in town and at work they know about it so I am actually being greedy and selfish here by writing this(with Dougs' permission) because I have no family left but my flying pals amd as the surgery gets closer it gets lonelier and scarier and I could use some chatter to keep me busy.

I'll get word out after the surgery to one of the guys to let everyone know how it went but I will probably be too out of it 6/30-7/2 maybe to reply much but email anyway please.

Most of all, blue skies, be safe and hopefully see you folks at OSH.

You are the closest thing to family that I have in a lot of cases.

Thanks

Jim

You'll beat it!

Jim,
Keep the faith and you will beat this!

As a 45-year old cancer survivor myself, I know what you are currently feeling. I have been in your shoes, and I know how lonely it can feel, just thinking about the unknown...I was married only about 2-months when I was diagnosed, but they were able to get it handled and I am still here, typing this today (after 6-years). The oncologists today are armed with some mighty powerful tools, knowledge, and success stories. The biggest thing in these ordeals is keeping a POSITIVE attitude!

You WILL beat this. Prayers sent your way! Keep the faith!

Bad news....but I guess it is old news to you. It does sound promising that it is just a small outpatient procedure and nothing has spread.

Sucks you had to sell your RV but it sounds as though somebody will enjoy the grin that she delivers.

I once heard somebody say, to keep going forward in life when you are faced with a grim reality...LEFT, RIGHT, BREATHE. It truly is that simple if you can manage it.

Best wishes.

Stay Positive and you will be fine! Glad she went to a good home, you'll be back in one soon enough!

Sorry to hear and we will keep you in our prayers. My Grandpa was diagnosed with one of the fastest killing cancers around back in 2007. They told us that he had 6 months tops. I can tell you to this day that man still walks this Earth like he normally does. He told me he was going to fight the monster that is invading his body and I believed every word he told me. I know in my heart that you can overcome this illness and get back into a RV. You have many supporters here and you can call us your FAMILY! If you ever need anything, don't ever hesitate to give us a ring or PM.

Jim,

Your daughter being home will be some of the best medicine going! Thoughts, prayers and strength headed your way! Here's to a wonderful reunion with your "little girl", and a very speedy recovery!

All the best!
Bob

Jim, have they done a biopsy? No sense worrying about it until they know for sure it is malignant. If it is, they have very good procedures now to deal with it now.

The only bad news I see here is you sold your plane! ;)

The good news? Your daughter made it home safely from a war zone! Give her my heart felt gratitude for her service and sacrafice!

Good luck man, hang in there, keep us posted.

Last edited:
Beat it!!

Jim,
They told me I would most likely not survive my bout with melanoma 10 years ago. I decided I would not let cancer take my life.
I won't lie. It was a tough ordeal.
Here today cancer free, and in good health.
Modern medicine is truly a miracle. You will make it through this!!
Summon your vital spirit, and paint your face!!

Regards,
Chris

Hang in there, Jim. The tools and diagnostics the doctors have today are changing almost as fast as our avionics!We all be be thinking about you and pulling for you.

Vic

Jim,

Very sorry to hear about your situation. I will be praying for you and your family.
Place your faith in God as he is the one and only true physician!!!

Keep you head up, stay positive and beat this thing!!! Many people do and I see no reason why you should not be one of em!!!

Regards,

Hey Jim

Sorry to hear of your battle.

At least the enemy is straight ahead and you know its there. Light it up my friend and you have lots of help off both wings.

All the best, thoughts and prayers.

Failure....

...Is NOT an option Jim!

We look forward to seeing you at Oshkosh for years to come. Get the good medical attention, then get back in the cockpit. Knowing that you ARE going to beat it is the first step.

Paul

We are all soldiers in arms to help you battle this adversary. We take no prisoners. A cold one will await for you at Osh. Prayers for a speedy recovery.

Be positive

I know it is tough to be positive but do your best. The scope procedure is quick and relatively painless. I'd take this as a good sign that they are using a scope and not a more invasive procedure.

Your daughter is a great dose of medicine. Hang in there, be positive.

We are all here for you.

Blessed already!

Our Creator knows what we need before we ask!

Thanks for sharing, I am asking for your health to be restored and your purpose in this world to be an effective example to the lives you touch.

May God Bless all of us, even beyond our expectations! :)

Stay positive, Jim

I went throught the same thing 17 years ago, and I can tell you that the uncertainty that you are experiencing now is the worst part of the experience. You will find that the surgery and recovery are not nearly as difficult. Focus on your future.

Best wishes, John

Hang in there!

I have been dealing with a stage III cancer myself. Yes technology is good and yes doctors are capable and positive thinking works, but prayer is the key to it all. God is in control.

Do not get overwhelmed. Get two or three good opinions from different doctors and then listen to the one you pick. Try to get something close to home because there will be a lot of trips back and forth and it will make life easier on family. Family is a wonderful comfort but will not understand the full extent even when they are present for everything. The internet is helpful but can overwhelm you with noise creating unhelpful worry and confusion.

The process all happens in slow motion. Yes there are periods of frantic activity but as soon as it ends everything just stops and becomes a wait and see.

And while you are doing all that waiting the best advice is keep your mind on things above which in my case involves two forms Jesus and airplanes. Those are the two things I love.

God Bless. And drop me a PM if you want.

Ben

Thanks Guys

I'm hanging in there the best I can.

Today started well and was feeling good around Noon then had a family issue that showed me once again that sometimes the people the closest to you care the least and that hurts.

If it were not for you guys encouragement today would be horrible, with them it still sucks bad but heck at least I didn't burn my eye brows off ( sorry B).

There is way more to the story than I can get in to but you guys are all great medicine and I really appreciate my RV family.

Thanks

I'm hanging in there the best I can.

Today started well and was feeling good around Noon then had a family issue that showed me once again that sometimes the people the closest to you care the least and that hurts.

If it were not for you guys encouragement today would be horrible, with them it still sucks bad but heck at least I didn't burn my eye brows off ( sorry B).

There is way more to the story than I can get in to but you guys are all great medicine and I really appreciate my RV family.

Thanks

Cell phone is on around the clock, Jim. Whenever you need it....

Your friend,
d

Thoughts are with you Jim

My prayers are with you Jim, Friends from afar and thinking of your fight. You will make it and I hope to to see you at Oshkosh. God Bless you and your family!
Doug

You're on the prayer list and will stay there! Stay positive. I lost my Mom to cancer quickly after she gave up. My sister kept fighting and stayed positive and has been caner-free for 6 years now.

I know first hand how tough families can be. I don't have the quote in front of me but Richard Bach in "Illusions" said something that I interpreted as saying that there are two kinds of families; blood families and spirit families. Your family at VAF is one of the spiritual kinds where you share a love of life and aviation and share a special bond. People can never be born with that bond but can get it freely and naturally through shared experiences and freely given love.

Your family here is pulling for you!

Sir,

I'm new here to the Forum and have just come across your post. am very moved by your humility and willingness to become vulnerable to so many by sharing your condition and concerns. I dont know you, but wish that I did. I dont know you but I know somebody who does...Our creater and maker, our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Sir, he cares deeply for you, loves you, and is aware of your needs, concerns and fears. He gave Himself up so that you could have eternal life and He wants you to know him in this very personal way. Turn to Him with all of your faith, confidence and trust and He will see you through this difficult time.

I know that you don't know me, so my words might not ring especially helpful...but as for my part in reading and responding to your post...I promise to remember you when I pray. I promise to petition our Lord on your behalf for your healing, comfort and endurance and would consider it an honor to meet you someday. Maybe our paths will cross at OshCosh.

I am additonally moved by the unashamed and heartfelt meaningful outpouring of Christ followers on this forum on your behalf. What it must sound like at the throne of God to have so many speaking your name and asking for His intervention in your life for comfort and healing...Its overwelming to think about.

Very glad to be a part of this forum. May God richly bless you in these and the coming days.

update

Doug,

I will have someone call you as soon as we know my status which hopefully will be by noon Weds. Then you can put the word out.

Today only one Dr meeting.

Tomorrow all the pre-op stuff.

I just hope on Weds I wake back up with a clean bill of health and not a Certificate of Airworthiness!:eek:

You folks have all been great as I knew you would be.

Thanks all

gotta have some fun?

Guys you got it!

I can't explain why yesterday I woke up feeling fine but cried in the shower and had a rough day keeping myself busy.

Today I woke up in a great mood obviously and I figured out an important detail that affects my life after the surgery.

I have been whistling and even singing with a big **** grin on my face all day.

I asked the Big Man upstairs to give me a second chance to be a better husband, Dad, Son, Boss and all that and for me to get a clean bill when I wake up.

With all the emails and texts and calls from all over the world, even the underside where Australia is, it's not hard to know people care and it makes a huge difference.

Knowing that you've had a positive impact during your life is far better than getting a great eulogy after you are gone and can't hear it so thank you all so much.

I feel blessed no matter what Weds news is (but I still feel the same so if Mel could make that call for me:):):))

Thanks again all,

Jim

Stop Selling your Toys

There are many cancer survivors nowadays, I meet them regularly. I know exactly how you are feeling, about 10 years ago, I went thru the same worrying and soul searching after a lump under my skin was biopsied and revealed "glandular carcinoma". Reading the report was just like being slapped hard in the face. Since I didn't know any better, I immediately began to worry and have negative thoughts about how little time I had left on this earth. But I was wrong, after a few operations, some radiation therapy, and after a few CAT and PET scans, I survived cancer. During the last 10 years, I did some things I previously doubted I would ever do, I attended both daughters college graduations, got a pilots license, and I now am flying around in my RV-9a visiting family and friends and enjoying the beautiful scenery. I also enjoy life's other pleasures a little more than I used to. As I think back I realize what a big waste of time it was for me to worry, or to even think that my cancer would automatically end my life. My advice to you is to cheer up, think positive, surround yourself with a good team of doctors, and stop selling your toys.

My good friend had a kidney removed and is now cancer free after five years. Hey, you can live very well with one kidney.

So, hang in there, and dont give up the battle,

Last edited:
surgery update

Scheduled for tomorrow in the AM, recovery early afternoon then overnight.

Someone will contact Doug with a status report since so many of you have asked.

Thanks all, today was one of the tough ones and tomorrow we find out if I get to play in OT or not.

I'm praying for OT as I know a lot of you are as well and thank you, I'll take all the help I can get.

Thanks all, talk more in a couple days.

I assume you remember the yodeler at OSH who would wake everyone up at 7:00am sharp.

The last thing he would do before the posse from the campground would find him was to say, "LETS......GO.......GET'EM!!!!!"

Go Get'em, Jim.

i would really love to say something intelligent now, but i can't. even i never met you before... i hope for all the best for you and that one day you will look back and say "ok that was a hard time, but cool... i still enjoy life.

good luck man!

Get Well

Jim, there are lots of get well wishes here for you. Just take one day at a time and enjoy each day of improvement. Best wishes for a complete recovery.
Don

Hello Jim,

Nice to see the PIREP this morning on VAF that all looks to have gone well during your procedure. You're in my prayers for a speedy recovery and another chance to live life to its fullest!

Godspeed!

Nick

Hello Jim

Jim,
I am a rv flyer and have a rv9a.
I also had a son deployed in Irag 2 times.
We prayed for him daily, so we will pray for you.
Hope your surgey has gone well. We have great doctors that can do wonderfull things but greatest Physician is the God above.

God forbid if anything happens to you in this life, please be sure you are ready for the next life.

I dont know where you stand but heres some words from the bible that you may want to consider.

I became a born again Christian from the words from the Bible which says:

Romans 3:10 As it written there is none righteous no not one

Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death but the gift of God is eternal life life through Jesus Christ our Lord

Romans 5:8 But commanded his love toward us in that while we were yet sinners Christ died for us.

Romans 10:13 For whosoever call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved

Jim look to Jesus he loves you and wants to hear from you

Jim call me if you want to My phone number is 608-372 7340
or maybe we will meet in Oshkosh

Mark Kenworthy

more best wishes

jim - glad to hear things seem to have gone well with the docs. hope to see you at a flyin or other gathering we have both flown into someday soon.

as an aside, my stepdaughter ana, a soon to be senior at university of illinois at champaign-urbana, is on her first long cross-country the hard way, with a group of classmates pedalling across the entire USA, new york to san francisco this summer, to raise money for the american cancer society. check her and her friends at their web site illini4000.org to see how they are progressing, and know others are doing what they can to help with the kind of problem you and so many have had:cool:...

Back