What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Single / Dual pulley

oren_rokach

Well Known Member
Hi guys,
I am about to pull the trigger and order the engine, since I of the few month's lead time.
There is an option for dual / single pulley. same price :)
I decided not to install AC eventually. any reason to order dual pulley? any reason not to ? if same price? some future use?

thanks for your help!
Oren

Hi guys,
I am about to pull the trigger and order the engine, since I of the few month's lead time.
There is an option for dual / single pulley. same price :)
I decided not to install AC eventually. any reason to order dual pulley? any reason not to ? if same price? some future use?

thanks for your help!
Oren

I learned from Paddy that you can't install the SDS magnets on the dual pulley flywheel. In case you are considering that. I can't think of a reason to have it, beyond AC or experimentation with a supercharger.

Larry

Magnets on dual pulley

I learned from Paddy that you can't install the SDS magnets on the dual pulley flywheel. In case you are considering that. I can't think of a reason to have it, beyond AC or experimentation with a supercharger.

Larry

Yes you can install the magnets on a dual pully and use SDS. Several RV10s flying this configuration now.

As for dual/single. If you aren?t adding AC then you dont need the second pully.

Yes you can install the magnets on a dual pully and use SDS. Several RV10s flying this configuration now.

As for dual/single. If you aren’t adding AC then you dont need the second pully.

Maybe there are different styles of pulleys out there. Apparently SDS told another RV10 / 540-D4A5 owner that it wouldn't work on his dual pulley flywheel. Might be worth investigating further for the OP if there is interest i in that.

Larry

A/C and SDS, YES delete flywheel from Lycoming

Hi Oren,

If your plan is to have Air Flow Systems A/C, YES, delete the flywheel and order the flywheel from Bill at Air Flow Systems.
This flywheel will have the standard A section V groove for the alternator and the serpentine belt grove for the A/C.
This flywheel can also except the SDS magnets, however, just ask Ross at the time of ordering to supply a modified drill guide as the tooling holes on Bill's flywheels are are different size.

If your plan is to have SDS ignition only, YES, delete the flywheel as the latest supplied flywheels from Lycoming do not have any tooling holes that you need for Ross's drill guide. Then order one of Ross's cool Flywheels :)
( photos of supplied Lycoming flywheel on this page about half way down, http://www.sdsefi.com/lycoming6.htm )

Cheers,

Last edited:
I know that at least one FIKI kit requires the second pulley. So, if you live someplace you never need AC, will you need the opposite?

Two more notes

Two more comments:

If you want to drill the AFS flywheel for the SDS magnets, you need to drill through and restore the serpentine belt grooves - see here - and there's a bit of pucker factor involved in this operation.

If you fit a dual pulley flywheel, you need a different (than standard) mounting bracket for a B&C alternator, I don't have the details here but check with B&C support and they will set you straight on what you need. If you just order the standard mounting bracket, it will position the alternator at the wrong fore/aft position. I can't comment on PP alternators.

Two more comments:

If you want to drill the AFS flywheel for the SDS magnets, you need to drill through and restore the serpentine belt grooves - see here - and there's a bit of pucker factor involved in this operation.

If you fit a dual pulley flywheel, you need a different (than standard) mounting bracket for a B&C alternator, I don't have the details here but check with B&C support and they will set you straight on what you need. If you just order the standard mounting bracket, it will position the alternator at the wrong fore/aft position. I can't comment on PP alternators.

Thanks Adrian!

Back