What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FAA LODA response time

jclark

Well Known Member
Benefactor
I know that it has been mentioned before but here is a tip of the hat to the FAA!

I submitted the form for a "Letter of Deviation Authority" (LODA) on a couple of RV's. For some reason, I was expecting a response no sooner than a couple of WEEKS.

I got the online response back within 24 HOURS!!!!!!
Since we are quick to say when things don't work, I just wanted to acknowledge when it does.

Filling out the form was quick and easy, so if you haven't done it yet, JUST DO IT. :)

They figured it out. My first LODA request was soon after the guidance came out -- sent in the request and never heard back. Fast forward 18 months, gotta do my BFR, gotta get a LODA. Sent in a new request, got the response the next day -- from the Little Rock FSDO, no less. That was a very pleasant surprise!

To echo what James said: Just Do It!
Yesterday I sent in my request for LODA to the FAA and received the signed LODA within two and a half hours!!
A shout out and thank you to Greg Ramola for the inspiration.

The FAA has been pretty on top of this courtesy. When the issue first came up after the court ruling, it only took a week.

I’ve used mine for a BFR from my hangar neighbor. I had planned to use it to also work on resurrecting instrument currency, but the LODA hasn’t been an issue. I am having a little trouble finding a CFI that’s enthusiastic about doing so with my airplane’s avionics suite.

Thank you to James for the reminder I needed to get this done.

I had only seen this requirement on VAF and had pretty much ignored it assuming I didn't really need it and it would be a pain.

I need a IPC so after reading James's post I looked up the form and emailed the filled out at @ 9:04.
I received the signed form back @ 9:30.

Guess it would not hurt to put the link for the form.
https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/vintage_experimental/examiners/media/LODA_Template.pdf

Thanks,

Last edited:
Back