What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New or Used Engine

Engine Choice for your newly hatched RV?

• Band new crate motor

Votes: 26 50.0%
  • Used motor

Votes: 13 25.0%
  • Remanufactured

Votes: 13 25.0%

• Total voters

panhandler1956

Well Known Member
All,
Did you hang a new or used engine on the nose of your RV?

Enquiring minds want to know!

Brent
RV-8 emp starting this fall -06'

My engine is somewhere in between on your poll... a used engine, but overhauled (not factory reman) before I installed it. I saved a few thousand bucks this way.

Savings

We found a 690 hour engine that had been sitting for ten years for $8500 U.S. We put another $3000 or so in it and have a self-overhauled strong 0-360 for around $11,500.......less than half of new. Overhaul it yourself when the time comes......it's a simple engine to do with the Lyc manual.

Used first time, but Mattituck next time.

Installed an angle valve 200HP from ASOD with 1200 hours. Runs fine, but with all new accessories/overhauled accessories, I did not save much over a new Mattituck. If I can get a good core for the next 8 and 10, I might go Pierre's route. If not, I'll go with Mahlon.

new

superior 0 360 and now for the same price i paid you can get a 3 year warranty and roller lifters :eek: oops i guess you can buy too soon

Engine

Found a core from an air boater, knowing full well what I would be getting into. It was cheap. Rebuilding the engine, with new ECI culinders, and a host of other new parts, and a few small internal mods. Cost in the end (to date) will be that of most "overhauled" (reassembled with components within limits) engines, except that it will qualify as a "rebuilt" (assembled to new tolerance). If I were not able to do the engine work, I would have fallen in the catagory of "good used", overhauled or rebuilt. New would be out of the question financially, but what the ****. it's only money.
T88
RV10

We bought a FWF from a 6A that was "hurricane Charlied." Engine, exhaust, mount, oil cooler, baffles, nose gear and all wheels, tires and brakes for about $10k less than a new engine. It has 885 hrs TTSN and saved quite a bit of building time with the baffles already in place. Didn't even pull the engine off the mounts before mounting everything at once. The logs showed excellent maintenance w/25 hr oil changes, etc. I think it is a great deal, but we will find out for sure in a couple of weeks at first startup. Yes, we kept it lubed well!

Bob Kelly

Bought an "overhauled" engine from AeroSport Power. Brand new cylinders, brand new crankshaft, etc. As far as I'm concerned, this "overhauled" engine is better than factory new.

Brand new used

I bought my airframe kit partially assembled which included an 0-320-H2AD core. I'm in the rebuilding process right now-crank,cases,rods all yellow tagged at new specs. Used cam reground and yellow tagged. Still need new pistons+rings. Also cyls need to be o/hauled and honed .010" over. I hope to have less than $5k in parts invested, not including core value.

Used rebuilt

We bought our IO-360A3B6D from Mooney Modworks, removed from a flying Mooney with 1200hrs with all accessories but prop governor, for $6k. So far, we have about 5k invested in getting everything "yellow tagged" inspected, the case repaired at ECi and pistons and intake tubes ceramic coated. I say so far, because may get a few other things coated. Have not decided yet. I think it is great bargain, but of course if you don't mind waiting for it, and doing alot of the work yourself.

Back