VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

-POSTING RULES
-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

  #1  
Old 05-14-2021, 11:50 AM
jrock836's Avatar
jrock836 jrock836 is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Burleson, Texas
Posts: 300
Default Low Cost Options Please

I didn't build my plane, so I don't have a bunch of airplane sheet metal experience and tools. When I built my Cobra kit car, I just drilled holes, cleco'd everything together and pulled rivets.

I just received the rear baggage modification kit for my airplane. Looks like I will need to dimple 16 #40 holes and install 8 platenuts using some tiny AN426AD-3.5 Countersunk Head Rivets.

Can someone tell me exactly what tools I need to dimple a #40 hole and install the above mentioned rivets? I assume I need a dimple die? Which one? I don't want to buy a $300 dimple die set, if I can just buy the one I need. Same thing for the rivets. Since I only need to install 16 rivets, I don't want to spend hundreds on a squeezer or rivet gun if there's a low cost option to install the rivets without those tools.

I'm hoping that I can install this $30 piece of sheet metal without spending $500 on tools! Lol...

Ideas please!
__________________
Joe
Van's RV-12 #120566 - ELSA - N49DD
Spinks Airport, KFWS, Fort Worth, TEXAS!


LSRI-A for N49DD / EAA / AOPA
Pvt Pilot since '79! / USNR - MA2
Retired LEO / PADI MSDT / SDI OW Instructor
Scuba Equipment Tech (PT Retirement Job)

If you can walk away from a landing, its a good landing. If you can use the aircraft the next day, its an outstanding landing. Chuck Yeager

DONATED

Last edited by jrock836 : 05-14-2021 at 11:57 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-14-2021, 12:07 PM
Ralph Inkster Ralph Inkster is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 1,396
Default

I see you are in Texas - tons of RV builders in Texas! Scout around for one that would be willing to advise and lend tools to get your project done.
__________________
Ralph
built a few RVs, rebuilt a few more, hot rodded more, & maintained/updated a big bunch more
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-14-2021, 01:00 PM
jrock836's Avatar
jrock836 jrock836 is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Burleson, Texas
Posts: 300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Inkster View Post
I see you are in Texas - tons of RV builders in Texas! Scout around for one that would be willing to advise and lend tools to get your project done.
Thanks.. Rather than borrowing tools from someone, if there's a quick low cost way to just get it done, that's what I'm shooting for..

So it looks like they are 3/32" rivets.. So a 3/32" dimple die is what's needed? Should this work for what I'm wanting to do?

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...xoCnfYQAvD_BwE
__________________
Joe
Van's RV-12 #120566 - ELSA - N49DD
Spinks Airport, KFWS, Fort Worth, TEXAS!


LSRI-A for N49DD / EAA / AOPA
Pvt Pilot since '79! / USNR - MA2
Retired LEO / PADI MSDT / SDI OW Instructor
Scuba Equipment Tech (PT Retirement Job)

If you can walk away from a landing, its a good landing. If you can use the aircraft the next day, its an outstanding landing. Chuck Yeager

DONATED

Last edited by jrock836 : 05-14-2021 at 01:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-14-2021, 01:30 PM
Mel's Avatar
Mel Mel is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Dallas area
Posts: 11,080
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock836 View Post
Thanks.. Rather than borrowing tools from someone, if there's a quick low cost way to just get it done, that's what I'm shooting for..
So it looks like they are 3/32" rivets.. So a 3/32" dimple die is what's needed? Should this work for what I'm wanting to do?
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...xoCnfYQAvD_BwE
This would be my recommendation. Of course, I'm somewhat known for using pop-rivet dimplers as I have build several airplanes using only these and vice grip dimplers.
__________________
Mel Asberry, DAR since the last century. Over 1,000 certifications accomplished. Discount for Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire Fighters.
EAA Flight Advisor/Tech Counselor, Friend of the RV-1
Recipient of Tony Bingelis Award and Wright Brothers Master Pilot Award
USAF Vet, High School E-LSA Project Mentor.
RV-6 Flying since 1993 (sold)
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-14-2021, 01:55 PM
jrock836's Avatar
jrock836 jrock836 is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Burleson, Texas
Posts: 300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
This would be my recommendation. Of course, I'm somewhat known for using pop-rivet dimplers as I have build several airplanes using only these and vice grip dimplers.
Okay thanks Mel.. I probably should have just done my research before asking the questions.. Lazy I guess.. I now see I can buy a 3/32 rivet set tool for cheap too. The rivets may not come out perfect, but they are only being used to mount some platenuts to hold the two pieces of the corrugated baggage bulkhead sheetmetal together so that it can later be removed without removing the fuel tank..

Heading to Aero Performance. Thanks..
__________________
Joe
Van's RV-12 #120566 - ELSA - N49DD
Spinks Airport, KFWS, Fort Worth, TEXAS!


LSRI-A for N49DD / EAA / AOPA
Pvt Pilot since '79! / USNR - MA2
Retired LEO / PADI MSDT / SDI OW Instructor
Scuba Equipment Tech (PT Retirement Job)

If you can walk away from a landing, its a good landing. If you can use the aircraft the next day, its an outstanding landing. Chuck Yeager

DONATED
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-14-2021, 02:13 PM
rv9builder rv9builder is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 923
Default

Joe,
Take a look at Page 10-04 of the kit instructions for the rear fuselage bulkhead. In figure 2, we use some flush-head pulled rivets to install a couple of nutplates. If you can use this type of rivet for your installation, it will eliminate the need for a squeezer or rivet gun to install solid rivets.
__________________
Mark
RV-12iS Fuselage
RV-9A Project: Sold

VAF donation made for 2021

Last edited by rv9builder : 05-14-2021 at 02:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-14-2021, 02:56 PM
jrock836's Avatar
jrock836 jrock836 is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Burleson, Texas
Posts: 300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv9builder View Post
Joe,
Take a look at Page 10-04 of the kit instructions for the rear fuselage bulkhead. In figure 2, we use some flush-head pulled rivets to install a couple of nutplates. If you can use this type of rivet for your installation, it will eliminate the need for a squeezer or rivet gun to install solid rivets.
I'll take a look.. Thanks Mark..
__________________
Joe
Van's RV-12 #120566 - ELSA - N49DD
Spinks Airport, KFWS, Fort Worth, TEXAS!


LSRI-A for N49DD / EAA / AOPA
Pvt Pilot since '79! / USNR - MA2
Retired LEO / PADI MSDT / SDI OW Instructor
Scuba Equipment Tech (PT Retirement Job)

If you can walk away from a landing, its a good landing. If you can use the aircraft the next day, its an outstanding landing. Chuck Yeager

DONATED
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-14-2021, 03:19 PM
Ironflight's Avatar
Ironflight Ironflight is offline
VAF Moderator / Line Boy
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dayton, NV
Posts: 12,731
Default

One other option, if you haven’t drilled any holes yet, is to use ClickBond nut plates. Yup, they are much more expensive than a regular nut plate, but you don’t have to buy any tools - so the total cost of the project might well turn out to be less.

You’re in a situation that is fairly unique - most folks already have all the tools, and ClickBond is an expensive luxury. But if you don’t want to borrow the tools, I am betting you can by ten ClickBond plates more cheaply than the tools.....

Paul
__________________
Paul F. Dye
Editor at Large - KITPLANES Magazine
RV-8 - N188PD - "Valkyrie"
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-14-2021, 04:25 PM
tjo tjo is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: La Center,wa
Posts: 242
Default

Good options here. If it were me (since I don't like my pop rivet dimpler) I would just get the $90 hand squeezer from Brown tool, a set of dimple dies and a set of flush dies (about $30 each) for a total of around $150 and do the job. You will probably need them later for something anyway.

Tim
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-14-2021, 04:31 PM
jrock836's Avatar
jrock836 jrock836 is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Burleson, Texas
Posts: 300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironflight View Post
One other option, if you haven’t drilled any holes yet, is to use ClickBond nut plates. Yup, they are much more expensive than a regular nut plate, but you don’t have to buy any tools - so the total cost of the project might well turn out to be less.

You’re in a situation that is fairly unique - most folks already have all the tools, and ClickBond is an expensive luxury. But if you don’t want to borrow the tools, I am betting you can by ten ClickBond plates more cheaply than the tools.....

Paul
Had never seen those before..Pretty cool..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl_zYF7l-1g

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjo View Post
Good options here. If it were me (since I don't like my pop rivet dimpler) I would just get the $90 hand squeezer from Brown tool, a set of dimple dies and a set of flush dies (about $30 each) for a total of around $150 and do the job. You will probably need them later for something anyway.

Tim
Thanks Tim.. You don't even want to know how much I've spent this month on the airplane! If I bought those tools right now, I would have to factor in the cost of a divorce too...

I think I have it figured out now.. Thanks everyone for all the great ideas!
__________________
Joe
Van's RV-12 #120566 - ELSA - N49DD
Spinks Airport, KFWS, Fort Worth, TEXAS!


LSRI-A for N49DD / EAA / AOPA
Pvt Pilot since '79! / USNR - MA2
Retired LEO / PADI MSDT / SDI OW Instructor
Scuba Equipment Tech (PT Retirement Job)

If you can walk away from a landing, its a good landing. If you can use the aircraft the next day, its an outstanding landing. Chuck Yeager

DONATED

Last edited by jrock836 : 05-14-2021 at 05:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:16 AM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.