- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 05-11-2021, 10:58 PM

Default Shipping?

I know the long leadtimes to be expected and all the reasons why... but about how long should I expect to wait for a trial toolbox kit placed a couple of weeks ago to ship? Anybody got a clue?
Old 05-12-2021, 04:41 AM

Shipping is all back up. I ordered some parts on 28 April and yesterday I received an email telling me one part was out of stock (EA Exhst/cowl shield) and to expect delivery by 30 June. I called and had the out of stock part dropped from my order. Hopefully that gets the order moving.
Old 05-12-2021, 06:20 AM

I placed an online order and it took exactly 2 weeks to ship (yesterday).
Old 05-12-2021, 06:45 AM

I'm new to the process and feel for what they must be going through. But I have a question for those that are in the know:

I placed an order for the Empennage for a 7A yesterday. The site said to call to provide a credit card number - so I did. However, the lady that answered said to wait for the second email and then I would have a builder number to pay against. Well, the second email came in saying "Thanks for your order" but no builder number....

Hmm... what next?

At the moment, I'm giving them a week or so to get me in the queue before calling back. What would others recommend?
Old 05-12-2021, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveQuestions View Post
I'm new to the process and feel for what they must be going through. But I have a question for those that are in the know:

I placed an order for the Empennage for a 7A yesterday. The site said to call to provide a credit card number - so I did. However, the lady that answered said to wait for the second email and then I would have a builder number to pay against. Well, the second email came in saying "Thanks for your order" but no builder number....

Hmm... what next?

At the moment, I'm giving them a week or so to get me in the queue before calling back. What would others recommend?
I think that's reasonable, given how completely screwed up things are now. Vans has never been "state of the art" on their order system or communications so this isn't surprising. I think a weekly call would be a reasonable approach.
RV-8 #81077 Super Slow Build
Dynon Skyview HDX, Titan IOX-370, Dual P-Mags, AFP FM200A FI, Whirlwind 200RV CS Prop
First Flight 11/20/2016
https://www.marksrv8.com
Old 05-12-2021, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dickens View Post
I think that's reasonable, given how completely screwed up things are now. Vans has never been "state of the art" on their order system or communications so this isn't surprising. I think a weekly call would be a reasonable approach.
I’ve never bought anything before from a place whose primary function is manufacturing and shipping airplane kits, so I guess I don’t really know what is reasonable to expect…maybe a cumbersome website and long long shipping times is the norm. But I do rely on Van’s for various airplane parts that I occasionally need to keep my already-built airplane flying and I have to say that Van’s is kind of unique in the world of online vendors.
AFS 5400/3500, G5, 430W, some other stuff

Last edited by MacCool : 05-12-2021 at 07:50 AM.
Old 05-12-2021, 08:18 AM

Default Call

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveQuestions View Post

Hmm... what next?

I would call to clarify the second e-mail. Nothing wrong with calling.
I'm sure Vans will get past this bump and return to normal soon.
Donated 01/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (2,000+ hours)
Empennage, wings, fuse, finishing kit, now FWF
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 05-12-2021, 10:12 AM

I highly recommend anyone with a choice to select UPS or Fedex for shipping.

I would ask that Greg suggest that to his shipping staff for backordered parts as well. Yeah it costs more and maybe you have to pass that cost along. I have been waiting for B/O Bag 1001 for the RV10 Emp kit for almost a month and here is what I think it's progress is so far...right now it appears to be in the Brooklyn sort facility (was going PDX to PHX)....not very encouraging. The USPS is a hot mess right now it appears.

There is no doubt that Vans has been slammed as well. Unrelated - I took some car parts in for chroming to our local chrome guy who is excellent and joked that it would probably be 5 years...she didn't miss a beat said we are down to 3 years now....lol. At the boatyard yesterday, the manager said one of the manufacturers has been using their yard for bottom paint as they have 50 new cruisers on backorder and can't waste shop space and time getting them painted and prepped for final delivery to brokers/dealers so they are outsourcing that work. Cray cray times.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-05-12 at 9.06.33 AM.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	11472  

Last edited by cactusman : 05-12-2021 at 10:22 AM.
Old 05-12-2021, 02:13 PM

Default Shipping update

So I asked the question last night, and naturally, I just got home and there it is

So I guess they're back rolling now. Yay!
Old 05-12-2021, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agfly View Post
So I asked the question last night, and naturally, I just got home and there it is

So I guess they're back rolling now. Yay!
Glad you got it.. Too bad Van’s can’t solve the communication with customers problem that clearly continues to exist.. I can give them a pass on a lot of things but not communication. Sending an email from a template takes seconds..
Van's RV-12 #120566 - ELSA - N49DD
Spinks Airport, KFWS, Fort Worth, TEXAS!

LSRI-A for N49DD / EAA / AOPA
Pvt Pilot since '79! / USNR - MA2
Retired LEO / PADI MSDT / SDI OW Instructor
Scuba Equipment Tech (PT Retirement Job)

ďIf you can walk away from a landing, itís a good landing. If you can use the aircraft the next day, itís an outstanding landing.Ē Ė Chuck Yeager

DONATED