Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2022, 12:59 PM

Default First Flight Test Pilot Anyone?

I've attempted a good bit of searching and reading on here. All I can gather from on here is its a great idea to get a test pilot for my first flight. It seems like it is not easy to actually find a Test Pilot with experience in RV-8's that one can hire.

Would I be wrong to ask on here if anyone might know how to find a Vansaircraft and specifically the RV-8 type of test pilot with military aircraft test pilot training?
Old 08-10-2022, 01:27 PM

Not sure that military test pilot training is as relevant as light plane experience. You're not interested in a handling qualities assessment as much as you want someone who can get the plane off the ground, read the gauges and be alert for things out of whack, land the plane safely no matter what, and tell you what needs attention.
Old 08-10-2022, 01:27 PM

Vic Syracuse. Base leg aviation
https://baselegaviation.com/first-fl...-test-flights/

No military test experience.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAU...aX9MCkTEENBMAw
Old 08-12-2022, 08:12 PM

Depending on your location (and budget) I'd suggest Dave Carrick (Windsor, Ontario, Canada) Terry Lutz (Mason, MI) Bruce Bohannon (Houston, TX) Elliott Seguin (Wasabi Flight Test, Mojave, CA) or Vic Syracuse (Base Leg Aviation, Peachtree City, GA).
RV-8 #83507 - now free to fly with impunity.
Builder websites:
http://goatflieg.blogspot.com/
http://www.mykitlog.com/goatflieg/
YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/goatflieg
Dues paid for 2022... extra payment included for psychological therapeutic services rendered.

Have you ever gotten the feeling you were smarter than you could ever prove?
Old 08-13-2022, 09:59 AM

At least one on that list I would stay well clear of........

Donated in 2022
Old 08-13-2022, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike newall View Post
At least one on that list I would stay well clear of........
Ha ha ha - I think one of those listed is even a black ace..

I’m all seriousness, there is really no need for a former military test pilot. You certainly want someone current, proficient, and with lots and lots of civil (or military) test experience doing what you need them to do: the first flight of a Vans airplane. I’ll vouch for Sean VanHatten in the Pacific Northwest region; a truly humble professional aviator in every sense of the word with lots of experimental aviation experience under his belt. DM me if you would like his contact information.
Old 08-13-2022, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksdflying View Post
I've attempted a good bit of searching and reading on here. All I can gather from on here is its a great idea to get a test pilot for my first flight. It seems like it is not easy to actually find a Test Pilot with experience in RV-8's that one can hire.

Would I be wrong to ask on here if anyone might know how to find a Vansaircraft and specifically the RV-8 type of test pilot with military aircraft test pilot training?
Synergy Air South could probably recommend someone. They’re located just South of ATL at KCCO.
Old 08-13-2022, 01:14 PM

Not sure why folks are saying that military test pilot is not required. If that is what the original poster is looking for, then those are his/her requirements.

If I were closer, I would give you a hand. But I am on the other side of the country.
VAF 2022 paid VAF 704
The information that I post is just that; information and my own personal experiences. You need to weigh out the pros and cons and make up your own mind/decisions. The pictures posted may not show the final stage or configuration. Build at your own risk. Further more, these are my opinions and not those of Van's Aircraft.

Last edited by AX-O : 08-13-2022 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-13-2022, 01:52 PM

I can highly recommend either of these two gentlemen-

Vern Darley. Former military pilot (not a TPS grad) and airline pilot. I know he does many of the first flights for Synergy Air South builders. He did RV-10 and 14 Additional Pilot checkout for me and my son. Super nice guy and excellent pilot. He is in Peachtree City. Vern@mindspring.com

Kent Gorton - former air show pilot and current airline pilot. Kent used to do tailwheel transition training in his RV-6. Kent has flown a wide variety of aicraft and is one of those pilots who can fly almost anything. He flew with me on the first flight of our RV7. He lives in our neighborhood in Locust Grove at Mallards Landing Airport. Best to text him at (314) 368-6zero zero 7.

Locust Grove, GA
DA20-A1 "Princess Amelia" - gone home to Amelia Island
RV-7A Phase 2 (Honored to be Van's "Miss July" 2021)
RV-10ER officially an airplane as of 4/5/22!
Old 08-13-2022, 03:54 PM

Is this even required? I always assumed that I’d be making the first flight. My wife often jokes about me hiring a test pilot and I tell her no way that’s my job.

Honestly I find it odd that Vic only charges 250. Risking my life in someone else’s experimental would be at much higher cost than 250. JMHO
C-177/172
Piper Warrior
2022 donator
Emp complete
Wings complete
Working on fuselage

Last edited by nohoflyer : 08-13-2022 at 03:57 PM.