-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 07-11-2022, 11:04 PM

I used the plastic headed hammer I got from Avery. Hold down the dimple dies, and give it two easy whacks. You don't need a lot of force. The aluminum is very malleable, so over hitting it will distort the skin.
APRS Tracking for KJ6YRP and Flying Over the Hills Blog
2022 VAF donator
EAA Tech Counselor, Pre Buys, Build assistance - canopy/tanks/fiberglass/electrical/repairs
Old 07-12-2022, 06:42 AM

I'm also getting a little bit of distortion on the outside of my skins. It's almost like the entire c-frame is moving ever so slightly downward with each blow. I can't quite figure it out since I have a very solid timber directly under it extending to the concrete floor. I'm thinking about making a steel post to see if I can remove all flex in the system.

The good news is the slight distortion mostly goes away after riveting since the rivet set smooths it out a bit. I think after paint there will be no noticeable distortion.

I feel like you also get a slight amount of stretching of the skin along a line of dimples. I've had long j-channels and spars end up with a very slight curve to them after dimpling.
Currently working on the tailcone
Dues Paid Nov 2021

Photos of build progress here.
Old 07-12-2022, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everwild View Post
I'm also getting a little bit of distortion on the outside of my skins. It's almost like the entire c-frame is moving ever so slightly downward with each blow. I can't quite figure it out since I have a very solid timber directly under it extending to the concrete floor. I'm thinking about making a steel post to see if I can remove all flex in the system.

The good news is the slight distortion mostly goes away after riveting since the rivet set smooths it out a bit. I think after paint there will be no noticeable distortion.

I feel like you also get a slight amount of stretching of the skin along a line of dimples. I've had long j-channels and spars end up with a very slight curve to them after dimpling.
I知 hoping it値l smooth out some with riveting. I致e contemplated replacing the skin, but I do believe perfectionism is the enemy of progress. I want to finish this thing. She may not be the prettiest one on the line, but at least she値l be on the line, lol.
Old 07-12-2022, 09:58 AM

I just use a 2 lb. steel hammer, not a soft one. I've removed the spring in the C-frame, and put the male die on the bottom. When it's engaged, I let the female die down and give the thing a good hefty solid whack.

Works super.

Dave
Old 07-12-2022, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Paule View Post
I just use a 2 lb. steel hammer, not a soft one. I've removed the spring in the C-frame, and put the male die on the bottom. When it's engaged, I let the female die down and give the thing a good hefty solid whack.

Works super.

Dave
I echo Dave's technique. I used a ball peen hammer. Worked great as long as you keep the skin nice and on the same plane as die face.
Private pilot, ASEL!
EAA 105 Chapter 7S3
Bi-annual financial contributor

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." Teddy Roosevelt
Old 07-12-2022, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwollen89 View Post
A wise tech adviser told me recently about 20 times that I知 building a tractor, not a watch.
I sometimes think my build looks like it has been done by a Medieval blacksmith. No disparagement intended toward Medieval blacksmiths.
Old 07-19-2022, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyden View Post
I sometimes think my build looks like it has been done by a Medieval blacksmith. No disparagement intended toward Medieval blacksmiths.
How did you get past it? I知 a perfectionist and I知 having to deal with almost everything less than perfect. Every little bit of dumb I do annoys me like using a 3/32 male die into my 1/8 small female die on the hs centre rib on one hole. Thought that does not look right. Got the right die.re did it and it has a depression ring just below the dimple but the flange is ok. I know it will be fine but irks me. Then on the centre nose rib I used the correct die but got some witness marks on the radius of the flange. If I replaced everything I screw up I may as well get a new kit on the way. None of it structural as I hammer vans but they say looks great keep going but aesthetically not pleasing to me. Keep telling myself I値l get used to it
Old 07-19-2022, 06:01 PM

Default quest for perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by swift12 View Post
How did you get past it? I知 a perfectionist and I知 having to deal with almost everything less than perfect. Every little bit of dumb I do annoys me like using a 3/32 male die into my 1/8 small female die on the hs centre rib on one hole. Thought that does not look right. Got the right die.re did it and it has a depression ring just below the dimple but the flange is ok. I know it will be fine but irks me. Then on the centre nose rib I used the correct die but got some witness marks on the radius of the flange. If I replaced everything I screw up I may as well get a new kit on the way. None of it structural as I hammer vans but they say looks great keep going but aesthetically not pleasing to me. Keep telling myself I値l get used to it
There're thousands of opportunities to appease the gods by making little human mistakes!
The "building a tractor" mentality doesn't really work for me because some parts of the build must be absolutely precise. The trick is to know what matters and that is difficult the first time round. At least the design is over-engineered so it should be safe even with blemishes.
Building RV-6A #22320 O-320 FP. Wings and tail complete, fuselage almost done, working on canopy.
Flying my Aeroprakt A-22 STOL and the aero club's RV-9A while I build
Old 07-19-2022, 06:45 PM

Default Tractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulvS View Post
There're thousands of opportunities to appease the gods by making little human mistakes!
The "building a tractor" mentality doesn't really work for me because some parts of the build must be absolutely precise. The trick is to know what matters and that is difficult the first time round. At least the design is over-engineered so it should be safe even with blemishes.
Doesn't work for me either. I try to be as precise as possible.
Builder Blog: http://wirejockrv7a.blogspot.com
Donated 12/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 07-19-2022, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swift12 View Post
How did you get past it? I知 a perfectionist and I知 having to deal with almost everything less than perfect. Every little bit of dumb I do annoys me
Welcome to the club. I keep reminding myself that I'd rather be annoyed by my lack of perfection than be completely blind to mistakes though. Building a plane has been a great exercise in learning to filter my thoughts and reactions. Let's face it, most imperfections are things that will never actually be seen. Their only "problem" is my awareness of their existence. The more I build, the easier it is for me to look at something and say "it's ugly TO ME, but it's safe," and move on without losing sleep over it. I'll be a different person when I'm done.