Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2021, 02:44 PM

Default Bad to worse

So I was all excited about Van's saying they would be able to ship my fuselage in place of my wings since they were waiting on wing spars. Been watching for that email saying the shipment was delivered to the trucking company.

Instead I get an email that I knew I didn't really want to open just based on the subject line.

Neither wings nor fuselage are coming. Now an 8 week delay on fuselage and 5 more weeks delay on wings. POOP!

On a positive note: Did get a delivery notification from Steinair so looks like my panel and avionics will be here tomorrow. Maybe I can prop it up in front of the tail section and pretend.
N488ZC reserved
Old 03-19-2021, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileyspoon View Post
So I was all excited about Van's saying they would be able to ship my fuselage in place of my wings since they were waiting on wing spars. Been watching for that email saying the shipment was delivered to the trucking company.

Instead I get an email that I knew I didn't really want to open just based on the subject line.

Neither wings nor fuselage are coming. Now an 8 week delay on fuselage and 5 more weeks delay on wings. POOP!

On a positive note: Did get a delivery notification from Steinair so looks like my panel and avionics will be here tomorrow. Maybe I can prop it up in front of the tail section and pretend.

I guess you're going with an Amateur Built RV-12 iS then?
2012 RV-12, #212 N72DJ KWHP based.
Old 03-19-2021, 06:34 PM

Not sure I follow. Yes I'm certainly an amateur builder but I'm building the straight kit from Van's for the 12iS. It is my understanding they ship whatever avionics you choose to Steinair and they make up all the cabling and test it. I opted for the screen printed panel so I guess they (Van's) shipped it along with the Dynon panels to Seinair and that is what is coming back to me. Or it may just be the Dynon stuff and the cables and the actual panel is shipped with the finish kit? However, I thought if I ordered the screen printed instrument panel it would be shipped to Steinair along with the Dynon panels and Steinair would mount everything in the panel and send it back with the premade cables.

Have I missed something here? Anyway, I'll know for sure tomorrow if UPS does what the tracking say they will.
N488ZC reserved
Old 03-20-2021, 10:59 AM

Default Add me to the list!

I, too, have just received a notice of delay from Van's. I finds it hard to believe Covid is responsible for all the excessive delays. And yes, I have read Van's posted reasons.

I ordered my fuselage kit on 9-24-20, with an expected crating date of 3-20-21. I am now told delivery will be delayed "AT LEAST 8 weeks". They offered to ship what is available now and the remainder latter. Or, withhold the entire kit until it is complete. I suggested Van's offer a more detailed reason for the delay, other than just saying they were out of a part.

I also suggested Van's offer their customers a third option: "I would suggest a third (option)... a customer friendly offer. That would include an option to have the available parts shipped to reliable customers and bill them only after ALL the kit parts have been shipped. For folks like me, that would negate having to leave my dedicated build space dormant for ???? weeks and not require customers to pay for something not knowing when they will receive a workable kit. The term ď...at leastĒ in your delay notice makes me nervous."
Tuscumbia, Alabama
Old 03-20-2021, 07:13 PM

Vans did offer to refund my money for the wings and the fuselage. But I've already paid for the whole airplane up front so I declined that offer since it would mean that I would have to deal with the wire transfer mess all over again. I too asked if they would ship my wing kit w/o the spars so I could get started on the prep work and then they could just ship the spars when they were available which seemed reasonable since the spars ship in a completely separate crate anyway, but they were not receptive to that idea. They told me the fuselage center sections were the reason for the delay on the fuselage.

I got my avionics today so at least that part is here. I was also told there did not seem to be any delay on the finish kit or the prop and engine so I'm hoping those will be along the first of April.
N488ZC reserved
Old 04-15-2021, 06:37 AM

Received my Finish kit last week after a 10 week wait. Which was the quoted time when I made the order. The problem is there are so many back ordered parts that we can't proceed comfortably with any of the sections for fear of over looking something. Every section has missing parts.
Old 04-15-2021, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwh View Post
Received my Finish kit last week after a 10 week wait. Which was the quoted time when I made the order. The problem is there are so many back ordered parts that we can't proceed comfortably with any of the sections for fear of over looking something. Every section has missing parts.
I got my finish kit week before last, within a couple weeks of the time frame quoted when I ordered. The delays didn't add up as bad as they warned. In my case, I would have been happy to wait a few more weeks because I'm not done with the fuse. Now I have a big box in the way!

Same situation with several backordered items including the landing gear which would be an early step. Not as big of a problem for me but hopefully those items are not several months out.
Old 04-15-2021, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironflight View Post
And as someone who tries to keep an eye on the entire kit industry, this is not just unique to Vanís - building has skyrocketed in the past twelve months all over the country (and the world I think), and none of our small businesses can keep up. Add to that the disruption in the worldwide supply chain, and the small businesses that supply kits are stuck with parts on back-order.

Our kit companies are not Amazon - you can give them slack, or not, but not doing so isnít going to increase their production anyway- no matter how much they want to do so!

Paul
Plus as small businesses they can't just pour money and capital at the problem and expand since the surge may be short lived.
Old 04-15-2021, 10:12 AM

Just an observation as a long-time consumer....best way for a company to deal with supply chain delays and other issues beyond their control it to up their communication with their customers. People can understand delays...but in this era of texts/emails/websites, lack of customer communication about those delays only compounds the irritation.
AFS 5400/3500, G5, 430W, some other stuff
Old 04-15-2021, 10:40 AM

I totally agree with the posters that are emphasizing communications is key when dealing with these sorts of problems. COVID is not a valid excuse to not communicate. People are understanding, if they know whatís going on.

Bad news does not get better by withholding it.